5th week of playoffs and

5th week of playoffs and

Postby Cujo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:35 am

Nobody is talking about Cit. Cit isn’t even talking about Samford. We have survived the last 4 must win weeks and have a winning record. We now control our own destiny. The next hurdle wears baby blue. We are only 3 days away. Wake up!
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Re: 5th week of playoffs and

Postby sudog03 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:09 am

They won at WCU with 5 players suspended, including their starting QB. This is pure speculation but in watching some Citadel, I think the HC knew he had some players not competing and decided to sit them, regardless of their status. I will inform my speculation with this quote from him:

“We’re going to move forward with this,” Thompson said. “They served their suspensions. I made the decision based on many factors, and now we need to move forward. It doesn’t need to be a rallying cry or anything. It just needs to be, we are going to go win with the guys on the field.

“It doesn’t matter who they are or how long they’ve played here or what age they are, we just need to go out and compete. And the biggest thing we saw Saturday is that guys came together.”

If that's the case, I give him a ton of credit, and I've never been a big Brent Thompson fan. They are sticking with the QB who won at WCU, even though he had multiple turnovers and they won due in large part of blocking two punts inside deep inside WCU territory. I wouldn't be surprised if see both, given that SoCon option coaches insist on playing multiple QB's every game for reasons that continue to baffle me.

Defensively, they aren't great. They gave up bookoo yards against VMI's passing attack.

Citadel will be desperate to win. They have not won a home game yet, and could get their biggest win of the season in the process. It's a long road trip after a very physical and big win for us. If we can match their intensity, we will win the day.
sudog03

Postby SU DOG » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:30 am

One interesting thing to me is the QB situation at The Citadel. Jordan Black was suspended for the WCU game and Soph. Brandon Rainey directed the team. Last year, Rainey ran the ball 18 times against us for 59 yards, BUT he was a RB not a QB. Last week he ran the ball 31 times for 188 yards, and had a 43 yard scamper for a TD against probably the very worst defense in the SoCon. To me, Black is by far the smoother more polished QB. He might also be the better passer. Against Furman, Black was 8-16, no int, and one 91 yard pass for a TD. Last week Rainey attempted one pass, and that was incomplete. Granted, Rainey is a power type runner, but he is not in the same league as say Tyler Renew(if y 'all remember that bruiser).

What seemed a bit strange to me is that The Citadel coach said that Rainey will start every game for the rest of the season. They have us, Bama, and Chas Southern to go. Why would the coach have made that statement at this time? I wonder if Black is somehow in the doghouse(no pun intended). Black is listed as the backup, so I assume we could see him also.

The Citadel defense did limit Tyrie Adams somewhat in their 38-24 win in Cullowhee. We must protect Hodges, and I think we will be O K. I see 03 has beat ne to it - in posting. :D
SU DOG

Postby FUBeAR » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:57 am

sudog03 wrote:They won at WCU with 5 players suspended, including their starting QB. [i]This is pure speculation but in watching some Citadel, I think the HC knew he had some players not competing and decided to sit them, regardless of their status.[/i] I will inform my speculation with this quote from him:

“We’re going to move forward with this,” Thompson said. “They served their suspensions. I made the decision based on many factors, and now we need to move forward. It doesn’t need to be a rallying cry or anything. It just needs to be, we are going to go win with the guys on the field.

“It doesn’t matter who they are or how long they’ve played here or what age they are, we just need to go out and compete. And the biggest thing we saw Saturday is that guys came together.”

I SEE FUBeAR ISN’T THE ONLY ONE LISTENING TO WHAT COACHES DON’T SAY TO HEAR WHAT THEY ARE REALLY SAYING. I CAME TO THE EXACT SAME CONCLUSION

If that's the case, I give him a ton of credit, and I've never been a big Brent Thompson fan.

FUBeAR IS IN THIS SLEUTH (look it up), ALSO

They are sticking with the QB who won at WCU, even though he had multiple turnovers and they won due in large part of blocking two punts inside deep inside WCU territory. I wouldn't be surprised if see both, given that SoCon option coaches insist on playing multiple QB's every game for reasons that continue to baffle me.

Defensively, they aren't great. They gave up bookoo yards against VMI's passing attack.

TRUE, BUT THEY ARE DANGEROUS AND OPPORTUNISTIC WITH THEIR AGGRESSIVE, PENETRATING STYLE. FUBeAR RECOMMENDS A HEALTHY NUMBER OF DRAWS & TRAPS IN THE RUNNING GAME & SOME ‘OLD SCHOOL’ SCREENS MIXED IN WITH THE DOWN-THE-FIELD & QUICK GAMES IN THE PASSING DEPT. PLEASE PASS ALONG TO COACH HATCHER, COMPLIMENTS OF FUBeAR.

Citadel will be desperate to win. They have not won a home game yet, and could get their biggest win of the season in the process. It's a long road trip after a very physical and big win for us. If we can match their intensity, we will win the day.

YEP. EVERY PLAYER MATCHING IT ON EVERY PLAY ON DEFENSE WILL BE REQUIRED. IF 1 PLAYER MENTALLY OR PHYSICALLY TAKES 1 PLAY OFF AT THE WRONG TIME, THEY WILL SCORE. IF THEY GET A LEAD, AS THEY ARE NOW BACK ON O, MORE TO THE STYLE THAT LEAD THEM TO SoCon CHAMPIONSHIPS IN ‘15 & ‘16, THEY WILL COMPLETELY LET THE AIR OUT OF THE BALL. THINK SAMFORD @ ETSU, 2016 - IF THE BELLHOPS GET A LEAD SATURDAY, THEY WILL MAKE IT SEEM LIKE THE BUCS WERE RUNNING THE AIR RAID O IN 2-MINUTE MODE THAT DAY.

Great Post 03...some FUBeAR ramblings in BOLD CAPS within your post above.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.
FUBeAR

Return to The Dog Pound