Kennesaw State tonight

Kennesaw State tonight

Postby Cujo » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:03 pm

Please come out and support the basketball team.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Re: Kennesaw State tonight

Postby 77SU » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:39 pm

We will finally be able to come to our first basketball game of the season. This year’s schedules are not truly compatible with our schedules until after the first of the new year.
77SU

Postby SU DOG » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:29 pm

I watched KSU play Kansas State on video replay. The Owls gave #11 K-State all they wanted until the last 5 minutes or so. At the half, the Wildcats held a mere 4 point lead. The Owls ran a very tight Flex Offense and continually tried to push the ball inside. Although they don't have one huge 5, their guards are long and all their players depended on the inside shot and getting the offensive rebound. Now, they will occasionally step out and try a three, but they weren't very good at all on doing this. They do show surprising patience on getting those elbow area and even closer in shots, and they really go hard on the boards. Our defensive rebounding must be really good, or they will hurt us on second chance put backs. One big advantage for Samford is, since they rely so much on the inside game, they are very slow to get back on defense. That should set up our transition game well, and so far this year we have been extremely good in this part of our offense. Of course, they have scouted us, and could change things up.

On defense, they are basically a man-to-man team, but do go to the 2-3 at times. They will always do this on inbounds plays. It is not all that good, and open areas are usually there, but remember I said they are long, so shots never need to be rushed. Their M-M is pretty good, however, and they block shots really well.

A winnable game for the Bulldogs, IMO. It would be a VERY nice W for SAMFORD.
GO DOGS!!!!!
SU DOG

Postby Cujo » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:36 pm

The question I have is whether Sharkey can continue his all-world play. This guy couldn't shoot from the free throw line and it was like he was shooting a bowling ball from three when he was a freshman (he could drive and score around the rim, but he was very limited in his game). He looks like a whole different player now--mid range jump shots, threes like layups, steals, assists. He has put in some work! He is playing like a beast. He looks head and shoulders better than either guard who quit and left the program last year. (03, time for your counter point).
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby sudog03 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:06 pm

KSU isn't great (won 8 D1 games last season), but hey it's an opportunity to win 3 straight D1 games in almost 2 years. One was UNA, but hey I'm counting it.

In terms of Sharkey, he's playing really well. Not sure why your surprised on his development, offensive skill development has been something I think the current staff has excelled at. For example, we turned a kid who got cut from his varsity HS team, to a guy that scored double digit points a game his senior year at Samford. Sharkey is going to turn it over more than I would like from my PG, but I think he offsets it with his outstanding on-ball defense. I think the questions are can he do it the entire season if we ask him to play his current 32 m/g? Can he do it when he's the first point on the opposing teams scouting report?

For me the increased athleticism and length on the roster, the decision to really limit our press, and the increased buy-in from the kids are the difference. Gurerreuo, Austin, and Allen are a fantastic defensive/rebounding combination, that have good offensive skills as well. Small, small sample size, but we had a rebounding margin of -5.6 last season, it's +7 through two games. This team is off to a very good start, a 3-0 start would be fantastic. The most encouraging thing is I think we can get better as the season goes along.
sudog03

Postby hotdiggitydog » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:32 am

We were planning to attend. Drove past the arena couple of minutes past 6:30 and parking was already full. Checked a couple of lots on the way out but everything close enough to walk on a cold rainy night was already taken. Then I get home and fire up ESPN app and notice the sparse crowd in attendance. Apparently parking is very limited these days.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
hotdiggitydog

Postby big_dog1968 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:47 am

Watching and enjoying the game. Alot of new faces. Feels like we may finally be witnessing the beginning. ;)
big_dog1968

Postby hotdiggitydog » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:20 am

Another nice win for the Dogs.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
hotdiggitydog

Postby Cujo » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:34 am

Nice win. Really impressed with 21 as a freshman. He’s a freak athlete. Freshman of the year written all over him. 0 is the best Alabama transfer we have gotten. Sharkey still impresses.
Cujo

Postby sudog03 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:14 pm

I see we are 3-0 for the first time since 07-08. That's nice. I think the defensive scout and execution by the players the first 5 minutes was the best I've seen under Padgett. The starting 5 is a really good unit. Can tell the chemistry is much better. Kids are playing for each other and competing on both ends.
sudog03

Next

Return to The Dog Pound