Cleveland state announcers

Cleveland state announcers

Postby Cujo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:59 pm

Have no clue who they are playing. Stamford, Stanford, Samford. What’s the difference.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Re: Cleveland state announcers

Postby SU DOG » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:10 am

Dogs win 73-60. In case you thought that the CSU Coach, Dennis Felton looked somewhat familiar, he was the HC at Georgia, and in the 2007-08 season took those Bulldogs to the NCAA after winning the SEC Tournament. That was the year of the tornado that discombobulated the event. Georgia won 3 games in about 24 hours(including beating KY) to get the championship. ESPN has done a documentary film about this entitled Miracle3

As for the game today, we played really well in the second half. Our defense was very sticky, and thankfully Brandon Austin was filling up the basket with 3's. Some terrific adjustments made after half-time were effective.

We have started 5-0 for the first time since 1996. Ohio State Tuesday Night, however, will be quite a challenge.
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:03 am

We held them to 8-30 shooting and out rebounded them 20-14 in the second half. Really nice use of the zone defense in the 2nd half. Would love to be 7-1 going into that Belmont game.
sudog03

Postby big_dog1968 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:45 am

Watched the game replay. Not a basketball guy, but love what I see. I thought losing Walker would be a disaster, but the team seems better. Love our size and length. Question for the more knowledgeable fans: How excited should I be about our team at 5-0?
big_dog1968

Postby sudog03 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:43 pm

big_dog1968 wrote:How excited should I be about our team at 5-0?

I think I'm more excited about what I see than what the record is. We have finally pretty much scrapped the press, and have drastically improved our man to man defense along with our rebounding. Our guys are competing on both ends. Offense has never been a problem under Padgett and we look to have made big strides defensively.

This schedule was designed to get us off to a good start, and rightly so. Our 5 opponents have a combined 1 D1 win thus far, and that's against one of the worst teams in D1 (South Carolina St.), we play them later. The top of the SoCon looks to be very tough ( go see what Furman has done), but thankfully the bottom (VMI, WCU, Citadel, and UTC) looks to be very, very soft. We've enjoyed such little success since joining the SoCon as a program (never finished with an above .500 league record since joining) that I am enjoying this. Hopefully we can stay healthy and make a run at a plus .500 league record, that would be real progress.
sudog03

Postby AP » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:08 pm

The Dogs are up to KenPom #266 as of this moment. Our SOS is 332. It's good to win. Let's have fun with it and see how good we are in January/February.
AP

Postby SU DOG » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:15 pm

What Furman has done(mentioned by 03) has really raised eyebrows. Knocking off 2 of last year's Final Fours in a row was certainly not expected. I'm not sure about VMI being soft. I would have thought so until last night. The Keydets went to Kentucky and gave the Wildcats all they wanted. The 92-82 final doesn't show that VMI was down by 6 points in the last few minutes, they outscored Kentucky in the last half, and they set a new record for an opponent in Rupp Arena by hitting 19 three pointers. :o Bubba Parham tossed in 35 points and was 10 of 16 from 3 point land. The Cats won the game at the line by hitting 29 of 35, while VMI was 5 for only 5.

BTW, the announcers, Tom Hart and Andy Kennedy, talked about the Furman wins and how the SoCon is a really good basketball conference. Andy should know something about the SoCon as he is currently a SAMFORD Parent. I saw him many times years ago sitting by himself way up in the old wooden bleachers of Seibert Hall. The former Ole Miss HC is now making a name for himself, as a popular commentator on ESPN streaming and TV shows.
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:45 pm

VMI also got beat by 39 by Pittsburgh, who beat UNA by 5. They will live and die by the 3. It's very early, but right now the league is showing 17th in the computer composite, was 19th the year before, and 15th the year before that.
sudog03

Postby SU DOG » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:56 pm

Yep. VMI and the Citadel will definitely be dependent on the 3. I think, to a somewhat lesser extent, so will Mercer.
SU DOG

Postby big_dog1968 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:13 pm

Cujo wrote:Have no clue who they are playing. Stamford, Stanford, Samford. What’s the difference.

He said both Samford and Stanford, on several occasions, in the same sentence. School should send him a Sam not Stan shirt.
big_dog1968

Next

Return to The Dog Pound