Football Recruiting News

Re: Football Recruiting News

Postby SU DOG » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:17 pm

I have so many concerns, but so few answers. An old adage that is commonly heard in college athletics is: "Coaches win games, but administrators win championships." It is easy to say that football doesn't get the backing it should, but it seems harder to point out SPECIFIC areas where that is a problem.Pat Sullivan was hired with a salary that was reportedly tops in the SoCon and in the top 10 in FCS nationally. His staff was also the highest paid in the SoCon. Samford still pays Pat well. Hatcher was hired at a bit less, but still has resources that Hurt and Gray never came close to. Yes, the stadium does lag, but so did the PHC and most other fiscal structures the school finally built. The new scoreboard/videoboard will be in place for next season. I was told this face to face from Martin Newton and others. We heard Martin publicly tell Hatcher that Samford would bid for a Playoff game. So what specific areas does that leave as lacking administrative support enough to hamper progress of our football program?

The answer to that question is where I have a dilemma. I sense that the administrative backing isn't what we need, then I recall these facts that I have stated, and wonder what SPECIFICALLY can be pointed out as lacking?

IMO, we do have talent that is generally above what most other SoCon teams field. I guess this is a debatable statement, but if you look at All-Americans and NFL players, I have some good grounds for my argument. I think most of us, like myself, are bitterly disappointed with only a winning season this year. I have repeatedly asked "If not this year then when"? I don't think any of us are on a witch hunt for coaches, but we do need to see a better outcome than what we got. Again, I don't know what the answer is or answers are, but I find the comments here interesting.
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:40 pm

There is talent all over the league. ETSU, Wofford, UTC, and Furman all had equal or more representatives on the first/second coaches all conference teams this year. We certainly had the talent to win the league, fell one game short.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:18 pm

I’m not even talking about money, although I think the primary goal of Samford Athletics is to balance the budget. I just don’t think anyone cares if we win a championship so long as we do not embarrass ourselves. It doesn’t have to do with facilities or the field or anything. Samford just doesn’t care.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:53 pm

Official visit this weekend. He has been committed since November, but I sure hope he signs early. Jamal Ellis is one of those overlooked jewels that Samford sometimes lands. I don't know this, but I think that one of the hardest recruiting positions for FCS schools is big quick interior linemen, and Ellis is certainly one of these. Read the scoop, as the writer almost insinuates that he should be recruited above our level.

https://recruitgeorgia.com/players/jama ... lpharetta/
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:28 pm

I don't get excited about many individual recruits. But, Mr. Ellis has me excited. Classic under the radar guy for us. Track athlete who didn't play football until his senior year. He doesn't have many offers because he hasn't been on the spring/summer evaluation circuit. Good example of how misleading FCS recruit rankings can be. He doesn't have any FBS offers and no stars. But trust me when I say, this kid has a chance to be special. I don't remember us signing an interior lineman this gifted out of HS. He's raw and needs to develop, but has the tools.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:57 pm

What was his track event? I hope the shot or hammer.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby sudog03 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:23 am

I'm sure it was one of those field events at 6'3 290. But as you can see from the play at the :30 second mark of this video when he tracks a RB down from behind 25 yards down field, he has good speed for his size as well.
sudog03

Postby SU DOG » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:46 am

SU DOG

Postby SU DOG » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:56 am

Another under the radar kid. Check out his size. Offered by Mercer.

https://recruitgeorgia.com/players/jaso ... athbremen/
SU DOG

Postby SU DOG » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:19 am

Big OL from Leroy Alabama, Chance Butts, 6-5, 270 lbs. Don't have much on him, but I do know that he visited JSU in October, but committed to Samford in November.
SU DOG

PreviousNext

Return to The Dog Pound