Stick, Burks or Hodges

Stick, Burks or Hodges

Postby Cujo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:48 pm

The finalist are announced for the Walter Payton Award to be announced in early January. Tough competition for Devlin. It’s not based upon a career, its based upon a season, but hopefully records will cast an influential shadow over the voting. Only one guy’s team didn’t make the playoffs, but only one guy holds all the records.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Re: Stick, Burks or Hodges

Postby Cujo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:19 pm

I was surprise that nobody posted this when I visited this website this weekend. I’m surprised that nobody has commented on the first player in Samford history to be invited to the show. This is simply amazing. And, I saw somewhere that McNair set his record (breaking the old record) against Samford. I was at that game (Dogs got robbed) along with a less than 2 year old Cujette (who is now 26). He came home from that game significantly influenced by the Alcorn State halftime show.

What was the name of the Samford player who ended up playing for the Memphis Showboats. He stole the McNair show in the first half. Anthony Jordan maybe? Dude was a talent.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:23 pm

You are correct- it was Anthony Jordan. Do you remember the Heisman pose AJ did in the south end zone after his 76 yard TD punt return? The game was televised on SportsSouth, and Samford led 35-13 at the half. McNair was actually limping, but could still out-maneuver our players trying to tackle him. I have seen more than once that this game was won by Alcorn, but the 45-45 tie was accomplished by NcNair scoring with less than a minute to go, and then also running it in for the 2-point conversion. I have heard that a former AD stopped selling tickets during the week leading up, and was telling inquiring folks that the game was a sellout. There is NO sellout at Samford. :evil: At any rate, that game is listed as the top crowd ever in Seibert. I have a different opinion, however. I still believe the crowd for the opener vs JSU in 1989 was the largest. I have only my own observation as a basis for my differing with official records, but I am convinced I am right. Cujo or others who saw both games, I would like to ear from.

As for Hodges, I really think he will win out. FCS records, IMO, would look better with a WP Award listed besides their all-time passing leader.
BTW, did anyone else notice that Kelvin McKnight was also in the top 25 in the voting?
SU DOG

Postby Smurf » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:41 pm

The crowds for that JSU-SU and the SU-Alcorn State games were pretty close to being the same if I remember. McNair's second half performance in that game was simply amazing. I have this image of Chad Mobley having the angle on him on that last TD or two point conversion, but McNair snuck it in.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:15 pm

You are forgetting the phantom pass interference call after we stopped them. It was a bs call. I'd like to see the video again, but I think McNair-mystic helped the official throw that flag. It would have ruined a storybook ending.

Oh by the way, my recollection is that he scored the two point conversion head over heels because he got nailed as he dove in and was sent summersaulting into the endzone.

I was present for both games and its a tough call. I think Alcorn was bigger, however. It was standing room only.
Cujo

Return to The Dog Pound