Basketball - How did we get here?

Basketball - How did we get here?

Postby sudog03 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:35 pm

I saw something earlier in the week that had us listed as the team with the largest improvement from our preseason Kenpom in the country. Right now we are listed at 169. How have we done it? My thoughts:

1. Defense, defense, defense. We made the long needed change in scrapping the press and have focused on improving our half-court defense and rebounding. We mainly have deployed a m2m half court defense, but we have shown the ability to play a 2-3 zone, especially as of late. Last season we were dead last in the league in FG% defense. Now, we are 1st in the league in FG% defense. Our rebounding margin has improved by about 7/game. We also have a group of kids this season that are engaged on the defensive end.

2. Frontcourt play. With Allen and Gurrerro, I think we have the best frontcourt combo that I have seen us have in quite some time. Having a 7 footer in the middle of the defense has obviously helped and Robert Allen has a skill set I have not seen a Samford big man have as a freshman. Logan Dye has shown steady improvement and has given us some good minutes off the bench.

3. Schedule. Much more manageable, allowed our kids to get some confidence, while also testing us at times along the way. I think we have a good idea where our strengths and weaknesses are.
sudog03

Re: Basketball - How did we get here?

Postby SU DOG » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:22 pm

Good analysis by 03. I also think the coaches did some really good work bringing in talent. Robert Allen is one true freshman that must have been overlooked by some of the big boys. His upside, IMO, is off the charts.
I think we have yet to see the full talents of Brandon Austin. We have seen glimpses, but I don't think he has really "gone off" yet.

Problem areas - the most glaring is foul trouble. When Sharkey and/or Guerrero get into trouble, our production goes way down.

Need a good start tomorrow in SoCon play. UNCG is a VERY winnable game.
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:01 pm

In terms of concern, turnovers are the #1 issue for me. We are 9th in the league in turnover margin, UNC-G leads the league in turnover margin and turnovers forced per game. Probably the #1 key to tomorrow's game.
sudog03

Postby big_dog1968 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:05 pm

SU DOG wrote:Problem areas - the most glaring is foul trouble. When Sharkey and/or Guerrero get into trouble, our production goes way down.

That is it. Those two are a great combo. We are very tough to defend when they are both in the game. After he leaves, who will we add so that it isn't just Dye.
big_dog1968

Postby Cujo » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:39 pm

Great analysis, 03. I’ll add one more, Sharkey is playing and providing leadership (I’d say more by will to win) on the floor beyond anything we have witnessed in recent memory. He has his turnovers, but he is a weapon and a threat that has more than made up for it. With high reward comes risk. I’ll take him playing on the edge and playing to win. A fire in the belly can be contagious. What he did to Houston Baptist was boss-like.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:49 pm

I said UNCG was a very winnable game, but they are also a VERY good team. Alonso is a super player, who can score in so many ways, although he sometimes tries to do too much. Then there is Kyrin Galloway, a 6-8, 215 pound power forward who can kill you on the boards, but is also a real threat from the 3-point line. He was 8-10 from long range vs LSU and ended up with 32 points in their six point loss to the Tigers. :o

Which team shows up for UNCG? Maybe it will be the one that struggled with UNA, but somehow I doubt it. Anyhow y'all pull us through. I will have to watch on here - I'm sorry to say.
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:07 pm

I see Furman came crashing back to earth last night.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:57 pm

That was a very good half of basketball.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby Cujo » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:01 pm

That was not a good second half of basketball.
Cujo

Postby Jiggs » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:18 am

A failure to make adjustments.
Jiggs

Next

Return to The Dog Pound