We have now officially rewarded mediocrity

We have now officially rewarded mediocrity

Postby 77SU » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:13 pm

Tweet from Kyle Burger

@kyle_burger

#Samford has signed head coach Chris
Hatcher to a 5-year contract extension through the 2023 season. In 2018, the Hatcher's offense led the nation in passing (392.7 ypg.) and ranked 4th nationally in total offense (515.9 ypg).

No mention of conference or overall record in 2018. Getting rewarded for someone else’s recruiting.
77SU

Re: We have now officially rewarded mediocrity

Postby sudog03 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:59 pm

So I guess with the original contract expiring, you would have preferred us to let the coach walk who ranks 4th in SU football history (based on winning percentage, 2nd best since bringing football back) who does a good job graduating his players?
sudog03

Postby AP » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:10 pm

I'm fine with the fact of the extension. Would like to know the terms, but presume those will not be made public. I just hope Hatch sends DelVon Hodgkins a real nice Mossburg or Browning as a Christmas present in 2019.
AP

Postby Smurf » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:23 pm

I don't know that I have an issue with some sort of extension, but five years? It's as if we won a playoff game or two. Then again, we extended Padgett for five years and he can barely win a third of his conference games and less than half of his overall games. Maybe this is why SU is reportedly to be a sought after job when it is vacant.

Honestly though the timing of this stinks. A five year extension on the heels of what was probably the most underachieving season in years if not decades is a bit of a bitter pill to swallow. Hatcher did very little in this last season to earn a five year extension. Under his leadership last season's squad grossly underachieved.

The administration better hope that last season was an aberration and not a trend or else this won't look good.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:47 pm

Samford doesn’t care about thriving or playoffs. Just enough to not embarrass ourselves is all that they want. I’m not being negative, just calling it like it is. Samford would like to win, but they don’t WANT to do what it takes to win—success could cost money. Balance the budget and enough success to put a spin something that looks good on paper (or a tweet).
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby Cujo » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:48 pm

By the way, I don’t have a problem with an extension.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby AP » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:31 pm

The timing of the extension is one week before NSD II for the 2019 class. Come on, Smurf. It makes perfect sense. Until you know the guaranteed terms, buyout, etc. there's no reason to get twisted about it. Samford is a special place that needs a special coach to truly thrive. I have always been a doubter of pure Airraid offenses, but Hatcher is behind two Bowdens and Coach Armstrong in winning games. He needed to be re-upped. We aren't firing that dude right after DelVon won the Payton Award.

Hatch has also made 2 playoff appearances. That's double the number of any other coach since you and Teh Cooj were crawling the bars on Southside. Put another way, my 8 year old son has seen Samford make the playoffs three times in his life. Cooj is old enough to be his granddaddy and has only seen 4.
AP

Postby Smurf » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:10 pm

Let's face it, having the second all time winning percentage at SU isn't exactly a massive accomplishment given our weak history. We have only two double digit winning seasons since 1984 and haven't won a playoff game in over a quarter of a century. It's analogous to giving an award to someone for being the second tallest person in a room full of midgets. The success of the Bowdens aside, It's not all that. That aside, I don't think that comparing a coach in 2019 to a coach back in the day when kickers were using toe straps and WCU fans were yelling dirty words from across the field is prudent. The mentality of the athletic department is different now, as is the level of competition and scheduling among other things. Judging a coach now to a coach back in the 60s doesn't factor in a change in administrative or fan expectations. We may not expect as much out of our coaches as I would like, but we certainly expect more of them now than we did way back then. Right now Hatcher's competition is Josh Conklin and Clay Hendrix and not John Lee Armstrong and Billy Bancroft.

Again, as I have stated previously, I don't have a problem with the extension itself, but it doesn't sell well with me that we just rewarded Hatcher with a five year deal after such a massively disappointing season. Duck isn't walking through that door now. How will Hatcher adapt to improving on a 6-5 record after having lost the best QB in FCS?

As far as the deal being announced for recruiting, I think that argument could be made at anytime for almost any coach. If that is a major rationale then are we to assume that every time expectations are not met that a lengthy extension should still be given just so recruiting won't be effected? A five year extension for Padgett may have in theory been initiated to help recruiting, but clearly the basketball program still has a long long way to go.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:02 pm

AP, Bowden went to the playoffs twice. Everyone remembers the year we won a couple and advanced. Nobody remembers the one and done against Delaware the next year. Keep that in mind when we talk about making the playoffs three times in the “modern” era. One and done is not all that great. But, it beats the hell out of being ranked in the top 10 preseason and then finishing 6-5.

By the way, I still believe Terry threw the Delaware game so he could get back to Birmingham and get started on the Auburn job.
Cujo

Postby FUBeAR » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:32 am

Another angle on this extension from FUBeAR...

Coach Lamb is quite possibly in the final year of his contract at Mercer. Following the 2013 he received an extension through 2019 https://mercerbears.com/news/2013/12/5/12_5_2013_1172.aspx?path=football. One not entirely reliable source has said that was extended through 2020, but if we go with the only published announcement, his contract ends after this season. President Underwood is as competitive as any ‘CEO’ of an institution of higher education that I know. Small sample size, but I can confirm that he expects winning / stellar performance from every aspect under his leadership at Mercer, but, maybe, especially, Football. Though speculation varies as to the specifics of what ‘successful’ might mean, IF Mercer Football doesn’t have a successful season on the field; despite the many accomplishments, the amazing start-up, the academic success of the Players, and their strongly positive representation of Mercer throughout the Macon area, Coach Lamb will most likely not return in 2020 (PLEASE NOTE THE BOLD UNDERLINED ALL CAPS “IF” THAT PRECEDED THIS CLAUSE). FUBeAR certainly hopes that he does return & Mercer has the makings of an outstanding Playoff- and SoCon Championship-contending Team, but reality is reality; Football games are VERY hard to win, so the possibility of his departure certainly exists.

What does this have to do with Coach Hatcher’s extension? Most of you know that Macon is Coach Hatcher’s hometown, but you may not know that the entire Hatcher family is akin to Football-Royalty in Middle Georgia. If you watch, listen, read the Macon media when Samford comes over to play Mercer, you would think Coach Hatcher might be borne into 5 Star Stadium on a Roman palanquin being fed grapes by his adoring attendants as he makes an entrance as a conquering hero. The fawning over him is nothing short of cloying. Further, Mercer has proven that they don’t mind opening the checkbook for 1st class facilities, etc. So...If Coach Lamb were to depart after 2019, I would expect an outpouring of sycophantic calls from the media, the Football nabobs in town, and the general citizenry for Coach Hatcher to be ‘brought home’ to lead the Bears out of the wilderness and into the Football promised land...at almost any cost.

I would assume the Admins at Samford are aware of all of this and I would wager that, as a defensive measure, this extension has an exceedingly high buyout in Year 1...which probably explains why the extension is so long and why it was granted following quite an underachieving season. Replacement costs can be much higher than retention costs in this era of rapidly escalating Coaching salaries, even FCS Coaches.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.
FUBeAR

Next

Return to The Dog Pound