MBB vs Furman & Wofford

MBB vs Furman & Wofford

Postby DC_INT'L » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:20 pm

Crickets.
DC_INT'L

Re: MBB vs Furman & Wofford

Postby big_dog1968 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:26 am

DC_INT'L wrote:Crickets.

Wofford: We couldn't hit a three today. They could.

I don't see us winning the tournament but given how low expectations were coming into the season, we did pretty well. If we manage to keep the non graduating players on the team(always a big if for us) I think we will be very good in the next few years.
big_dog1968

Postby Cujo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:15 am

March 2, 2019, is the day Samford hosted a double-header of massacres in a relatively empty Pete Hannah Pavilion. We have a long way to go to be competitive in Basketball regardless of gender. On the men’s side, after the mass exodus at the end of last year, nobody expected us to be any good. We actually had moments and exceeded expectations, but “not finishing last” isn’t exactly the battle cry I want my team to aspire to (nor two mass exoduses that require “restarts” and continual rebuilding). You realize, we have been rebuilding since 2005/6? On the women’s side, this program has gone off the rails. Mike Morris is a great guy and a good coach, but the Emily London era was a long time ago. We are not good.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby sudog03 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:19 pm

Disappointed with how we've competed the last couple of weeks, but we've had guys playing big minutes all year, so maybe fatigue is starting to take it's toll. At 5-8 after the Chattanooga win, I was really hopeful for a good finish, say 8-10 and a top 6 seed. That really would have been something to build on, especially given the strength of the league this season. Didn't finish well and we find our selves in our usual spot of playing Friday night.

Going forward, if we are going to escape the wilderness this program is in, we are going to have to find a way to retain more of our best players. Transfers are an epidemic in college basketball, they have effected just about every program at every level of the game. It's not an easy solution and something that we won't bat a 1000% percent on. Imagine if we just lost coleman and chambers from last season our roster could have looked something like this:

Starters:
CC
Gordon
Austin
Wyatt
Gurerrreo

Bench:
Sharkey
Allen
Nolan
Dye
Thomas
Lakic
Fitzgerald
Henderson

That's a team that could compete at the highest level of this league. Wofford brought what I think is the best basetkball team I've seen in the SoCon since we joined in the league, and frankly may be the best I've seen relative to any of the big 3 sports (Football, MBB, Baseball). To go through this league, this season, 18-0 is pretty remarkable. They haven't been perfect in retaining players either, but have done a better job than most. Their two senior starters, Magee and Jackson have more career starts than our entire roster combined. Hopefully that's something we can improve on, as I feel we have some talented youngsters that could really improve our program as they develop.
sudog03

Postby SU DOG » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:53 pm

SU DOG

Return to The Dog Pound