Mike Young...

Mike Young...

Postby Smurf » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:15 pm

...has been hired as the new head coach at Virginia Tech.
BOE.
Smurf

Re: Mike Young...

Postby AP » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:01 pm

5-year deal. Starts at $2M base and rises to $2.75M base over the life of the contract. That $11.5M is life-changing money. Don't care how well your wife is doing at PWC or wherever.
AP

Postby sudog03 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:04 pm

I'm sure they need accountants in VA too. Very interested to see what Wofford does. They are notorious for underpaying their coaches. Being reported that Young was making 185k at Wofford, with an agreement in place before this Tech thing came up to double his salary starting this summer. Wes Miller makes north of 300k at G and Forbes makes north of 400k at ETSU. If Wofford were to commit say 350k to a coach, they could probably get Dustin Kerns, who worked minor miracles in his short time at Presby and recently took the App. State job. If they go cheap, I'd expect a current assistant. Hope they go cheap.
sudog03

Postby The Cats » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:30 pm

I understand that Young is pushing for his top assistant, Jay McAuley for the job.
The Cats

Postby AP » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:01 pm

The Cats wrote:I understand that Young is pushing for his top assistant, Jay McAuley for the job.
That's the correct hire for them to make. I have heard good things about him. Of course, if they didn't hire McAuley for the job, they'd maybe go for your coach, so . . . . .
AP

Postby 77SU » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:02 pm

Looking at the Wofford board this morning there seems to have been some animosity between their relatively new AD and MY. AD last year would not renew the contract for the 26-year veteran football and MBB announcer. The first post in their thread from Friday, March 29, had, “A Sports Radio station in Charleston, SC, are saying that Mike Young is ‘on the market’ after talks with the athletic director and college officials did not go well yesterday afternoon.” It goes downhill from there.

BTW, Margaret Young is not just an accountant, https://www.pwc.com/us/en/contacts/m/ma ... young.html

She’s been a partner at PwC for over 24 years. Came to PwC in 1994 and in 2010 became the Carolinas Private Company Services Leader and then in 2016 was named East Region Leader for Private Company Services. Not too shabby for a BS in Accounting from Wofford College in 1992. She could possibly continue her position at PwC or take early retirement and manage MY’s new pot of gold.
Last edited by 77SU on Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
77SU

Postby sudog03 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:35 pm

Richard Johnson has been AD for 18 years. Prior to that he was the HC for the MBB team and hired a young coach named Mike Young as an assistant. Richard Johnson then hired Mike Young as the head coach once he transitioned to the AD job. They have worked together for 30 years. I believe Young was going for that job, regardless of what transpired at Wofford. As AP said, that VT contract is a life changer.

I haven't gone over there, but those folks don't honestly think there was something Wofford could have done to keep Young, do they?
sudog03

Postby 77SU » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:32 am

03, I had misrread some of the Wofford comments to get the idea their AD was "relatively new." Their president has only been there since 2013, so he's the newest player of the group. There are several posts on the Terrier board that think it is time for Johnson to leave and they aren't fans of the president.

Someone posted MY was only making $171k and their counter offer was for only $375k. A few posters thought since MY didn't leave after his last trip to the Big Dance, he would stick around. Most seemed to believe he was on his way out. Now they are concerned since MY has recommended McAuley, Johnson will hire someone else.
77SU

Postby sudog03 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:59 am

Yeah, Wofford is notorious for not paying coaches. He would have left after the previous trip, had their been a p5 school willing to hire him, but there wasn't. A undefeated conference record, national coach of the year award and a win in the tourney raises the profile quite a bit.

As a Samford fan, I'll be glad for them to hire anyone but Dustin Kerns.
sudog03

Postby 77SU » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:04 pm

Now that Rick Barnes has turned down UCLA, I think 03 and AP should apply as co-coaches for the UCLA job. Good basketball minds and not as expensive as Calipari. Bet you could get them both for $4 million/year, with a 4-year guarantee.
77SU

Next

Return to The Dog Pound