One SoCon Media Member’s 2019 Projections

One SoCon Media Member’s 2019 Projections

Postby FUBeAR » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:05 am

Enjoy...

https://medium.com/@markybillson/2019-southern-conference-football-predictions-5fde80a4e332

So, in reverse order of projected finish:

9. Samford. Last season the Bulldogs disappointed after being picked to win the conference, finishing 6–5 after a 1–4 start despite the presence of Devlin Hodges, the all-time leading passer in FCS football.

But Hodges is gone and it seems the player everyone is raving about is Chris Shelling. When your best player is a 5–8 wide receiver, I’m inclined to believe there isn’t a whole lot else.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.
FUBeAR

Re: One SoCon Media Member’s 2019 Projections

Postby SU DOG » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:09 am

Yeah, I just posted that on AGS, and you beat me to it here. Laughable list IMO. How do you like Mercer at #6 BTW?
SU DOG

Postby FUBeAR » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:15 am

SU DOG wrote:Yeah, I just posted that on AGS, and you beat me to it here. Laughable list IMO. How do you like Mercer at #6 BTW?

#6 is fair...also #1 is fair - As previously stated, either GREAT or another mediocre season for the Bears. Too much talent on O to be horrible, with too many question marks on D & Special Teams, along with too much ‘history’ to be assured of Greatness.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.
FUBeAR

Postby sudog03 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:27 pm

That is hilarious.
sudog03

Postby BearDownMU » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:58 pm

Feels like Marky really evaluated some teams and kinda mailed it in on his assessment of others.
Some days you eat the bear. Some days the Bear eats you!
BearDownMU

Postby SU DOG » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:24 pm

FUBeAR can say that #6 for Mercer is fair all he wants to. Question is, if the Bears finish that low, will there be unrest in Macon? Personally, I think Coach Lamb would be in big trouble in that case. As for the #9 spot for Samford, no, Coach Hatcher would probably remain, but there would be some serious mumbling on Lakeshore. Talent lost - yeah, but the talent(and experience) returning is far better than most of the SoCon realizes. IMO, this is NOT a huge rebuilding year. I think next year will be more of a rebuilding challenge. Even then, Samford should be very competitive. The school sells itself,and recruiting really good FCS players is not a problem.
For several reasons, I stand by my statement that this list IS laughable.
SU DOG

Postby SU DOG » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:41 pm

One VERY unhappy coach with SoCon pre-season ranking.

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/c ... 1dc06.html
SU DOG

Postby Smurf » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:30 pm

“It’s a flat-out joke,” said Thompson, whose team returns 19 starters from a 5-6 squad that went 4-4 in the SoCon, tied for fifth place, in 2018. “I think that’s the biggest thing that I’ve taken away from today, is how little respect we have right now, and that’s OK with me.

So he says it's a flat out joke, but it's okay with him.

Hmm..
BOE.
Smurf

Postby sudog03 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:40 pm

FUBeAR wrote:Enjoy...

https://medium.com/@markybillson/2019-southern-conference-football-predictions-5fde80a4e332

So, in reverse order of projected finish:

9. Samford. Last season the Bulldogs disappointed after being picked to win the conference, finishing 6–5 after a 1–4 start despite the presence of Devlin Hodges, the all-time leading passer in FCS football.

But Hodges is gone and it seems the player everyone is raving about is Chris Shelling. When your best player is a 5–8 wide receiver, I’m inclined to believe there isn’t a whole lot else.

Just FYI, that 5-8 WR led the SoCon in TD receptions last year.
sudog03

Postby Smurf » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:34 pm

The key phrase here is "inclined to believe there isn't a whole lot else" It isn't as if we are rolling out an entire new group of WRs. If this guy did his due diligence, he wouldn't have to rely on his inclinations on what we have or don't have returning. He would know and he would base his predictions on something a bit more foundational. I don't necessarily believe we are post season bound next season, but it is very difficult to imagine us finishing ninth. Either this guy is speculating without having performed any research or he simply forgot to pay his brain bill.
BOE.
Smurf

Next

Return to The Dog Pound