One SoCon Media Member’s 2019 Projections

Re: One SoCon Media Member’s 2019 Projections

Postby BearDownMU » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:40 pm

SU DOG wrote:FUBeAR can say that #6 for Mercer is fair all he wants to. Question is, if the Bears finish that low, will there be unrest in Macon? Personally, I think Coach Lamb would be in big trouble in that case. As for the #9 spot for Samford, no, Coach Hatcher would probably remain, but there would be some serious mumbling on Lakeshore. Talent lost - yeah, but the talent(and experience) returning is far better than most of the SoCon realizes. IMO, this is NOT a huge rebuilding year. I think next year will be more of a rebuilding challenge. Even then, Samford should be very competitive. The school sells itself,and recruiting really good FCS players is not a problem.
For several reasons, I stand by my statement that this list IS laughable.

I think if Mercer doesn't go to the post season this year and/or win a SoCon title, it's entirely possible a change is made.
Some days you eat the bear. Some days the Bear eats you!
BearDownMU

Postby FUBeAR » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:07 am

Coach Lamb, I am almost certain, is in the final year of his contract, which explains some of the departures from the Coaching Staff since 2018, IMO.

Asst. Coaches feed their families with the proceeds from practicing their profession. Even if they believed with all of their hearts that Mercer was going to go 15-0 and win the FCS Championship, the SAFE thing to do would be to move to another program, where 4 or 5 more years of a steady paycheck are (almost) guaranteed & they have/had the opportunity to choose where they landed, from a stronger negotiating position than, potentially, being forced to take a lesser job for lesser pay...if they could find one. Gotta make sure Momma & the babies have grocery money.

I agree with BDMU...for the most part, with 2 other scenarios for retention, but also more certainty of a negative outcome (a Head Coaching Change) if 1 (or more) of the following goals are not reached by the Bears in 2019.

1) Win at least a share of the SoCon Championship
2) Receive a bid to the FCS Playoffs
3) Win 8+ games & somehow not win the SoCon AND not receive a bid to the FCS Playoffs (i.e., get royally screwed by the selection committee)
4) Win only 7 games, don’t win the SoCon, don’t receive a bid to the FCS Playoffs, BUT upset FBS UNC in the season finale AND (again) suffer close, HEARTBREAKING losses in a SoCon game or 2 which prevent either of the 1st 2 goals from being realized. Perhaps, an injury to a key Player or injuries to key Players (Riddle, Devezin especially) would also be required for retention in this scenario. Yep - most of that is “same old story” for the Bears...but it’s really not that bad of a story...not like the narratives that have existed at VMI & WCU in...well...almost forever. Hard to part ways with the only modern-day Football Coach in school history, who is a near-SoCon legend, when coming off an upset of a P5 Program at the end of an ‘almost’ season...even if it is ANOTHER ‘almost’ season.

Fewer than 7 wins, under ANY circumstances, and the Bears will have a new Head Coach in 2020...sadly, for FUBeAR.

But...with Mercer and Furman both bound for a showdown with one another in Frisco to finish this season, we don’t need to worry about any of this foolishness
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.
FUBeAR

Postby SU DOG » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:12 pm

Yeah that Furman/Mercer FCS National Championship Game should be a thriller. Then there is that Clemson/Vanderbilt Commodores tussle for the FBS National Championship that is so highly anticipated. :?
SU DOG

Previous

Return to The Dog Pound