Hatcher Says We Have VERY Talented Players

Hatcher Says We Have VERY Talented Players

Postby SU DOG » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:15 pm

And I think he is right. Now, VERY talented players should = Many Won Games. Click on his video on official site:

https://samfordsports.com/
SU DOG

Re: Hatcher Says We Have VERY Talented Players

Postby 77SU » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:13 pm

I thought we had some VERY talented players last year. In fact, I think one of them won some kind of special award. :oops:
77SU

Postby Smurf » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:28 pm

A school like SU is incapable of recruiting at level high enough to offset these current coaching deficiencies to a point to we would be winning 9-10 games a year.

If you can't win more than six games with what we had last year, you cannot reasonably expect to win 9 or 10. There just isn't enough space between where we are talent wise and where our ceiling is. For this reason, among others, I'd caution folks to temper expectations for this season.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby 77SU » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:57 pm

Since last season ended at 6-5, I’m expecting 6-6, at best. Smurf, do you think I need to temper that expectation a little more?
77SU

Postby Smurf » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:12 pm

77SU, I think you have nailed the over/under at 6 overall wins (and 4 wins in the league).

FYI, Kelvin McKnight led this team in receiving 10 off 11 games last season. Chris Schelling was the leading receiving in the 11th game with 44 yards. I am not suggesting the cupboard is bare offensively, but the offense will not be able to bail out the defense near the degree we have seen in the last couple of years.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby sudog03 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:19 pm

Uh, outside of the the citadel game last year, I can't think of a game where our defense didn't play well enough for us to win.
sudog03

Postby Smurf » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:45 pm

Well, we gave up 470 yards to Mercer and lost that one so there is that.

I don't think it is any secret that this team is built for offense. We are designed to outscore folks and not to smash them in the mouth and win games 14-10. The success and failure starts with our offense, not the defense. If the offense were to fall flat on its face (which I am not suggesting it will), this is a three win team. The offense bails out the defense more in this scheme. We stand a heck of a lot better chance of winning a game 45-35 than 14-7.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby sudog03 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:14 pm

I don't think any team in america is built to win many games without scoring at least 24 ppg. Your right, should have played better against Mercer. They had a good plan and went after some weaknesses we had after the FSU game. Robert Riddle is a good QB.
sudog03

Postby paladinfan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:09 am

Smurf wrote:Well, we gave up 470 yards to Mercer and lost that one so there is that.

I don't think it is any secret that this team is built for offense. We are designed to outscore folks and not to smash them in the mouth and win games 14-10. The success and failure starts with our offense, not the defense. If the offense were to fall flat on its face (which I am not suggesting it will), this is a three win team. The offense bails out the defense more in this scheme. We stand a heck of a lot better chance of winning a game 45-35 than 14-7.

I read an article last season on the Ringer that was making the case for air raid offenses in the NFL.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/8/14/176 ... coln-riley

It addressed the complex question about why air raid teams historically tend to have "meh" defenses. This was their argument:

But the main reason Air Raid college teams tend to have bad defenses has nothing to do with those teams’ respective offenses. . . . Air Raid college teams tend to have bad defenses because when an NCAA program hires an Air Raid head coach, it is immediately presumed that program no longer cares about defense. And at the college level, those presumptions matter greatly.

To have a good defense, a college program needs to recruit great defensive players and coaches. Prized defensive recruits dream of one day making the NFL, so they generally commit to coaches who have track records of getting defensive players to the NFL instead of coaches who have track records of putting up 57 points per game. And great defensive assistants are often reluctant to work for Air Raid head coaches, too; if a college roster lacks high-end defensive talent, it could give up a ton of points, putting the long-term reputations of those assistants at risk

Food for thought anyway.
paladinfan

Postby SU DOG » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:49 pm

I don't think that any SoCon team has as many defensive players in the NFL as Samford, although I admit I haven't researched this. If Gooden makes it somehow, that will be 5 current players, and 2 fairly recently retired ones. Overall, our D stats were not bad last year - 3rd in scoring defense and 4th overall. We've also had good (I'm thinking the best) continuity in the league with our defensive staff.

I do see where the article is coming from, but I honestly don't know how to apply it to Samford's defense.
SU DOG

Next

Return to The Dog Pound