Predictions

Predictions

Postby Cujo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:55 pm

I read a couple of predictions last night while waiting for the sandman to return in the middle of the night. To my shock and surprise, we are predicted between 6 and 8 in the conference!!!!! That’s insulting. I’m not sure why Furman and Wofford get so much respect every year, but they can’t beat us. Maybe our track record for losing games we should win and not being able to achieve our potential on a consistent basis (look at the guys in the NFL—the cupboard has not been bare despite some of the excuses I’ve seen for our underachievement) precedes us. The only way I can figure we get picked this low is the unknown outside of Samford circles regarding the talent that was behind Hodges, McKnight and Gooden. I think we’ll be at least as good as we have been the last 4 years and we’ll be in the hunt for the title and then we’ll lose to someone we should beat and snatch a non-title from the jaws of a conference championship. In other words, we’ll be Samford.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Re: Predictions

Postby Smurf » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:04 pm

Overall do we have more experience than we did last year when we finished 6-5?

Overall do we have more talent than we did last year when we finished 6-5?

Is the coaching staff markedly more capable and smarter in preparation than last year when we finished 6-5?
BOE.
Smurf

Postby SU DOG » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:41 pm

Smurf wrote:Overall do we have more experience than we did last year when we finished 6-5?

Overall do we have more talent than we did last year when we finished 6-5?

Is the coaching staff markedly more capable and smarter in preparation than last year when we finished 6-5?

To your first question I will(perhaps surprisingly) say YES. Considering last year's injuries and over 50 returning lettermen, yeah I really think so.

Question #2 - It would be very hard to say yes, maybe foolish considering we had 3AA. The more pertinent question is: Do we have the talent to make a serious run in the SoCon? IMO, the answer is a resounding YES.

Last year's 6-5 record should be a big embarrassment to our staff, that's all I will say to this question. :oops:
SU DOG

Postby Smurf » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:57 pm

YSU- I see this as a YSU 14 point win, perhaps as much as a three TD victory for the icebirds if Bo Pelini's cat suits up at RB.
TTU- TTU is still looking to recapture the powerhouse years they had win Watson Brown was winning four or five games a year in Cookeville. I can see us being sluggish and still winning by 24 or so.
Wofford- We'll be underdogs. The bye weeks helps as we hit the road for the third straight week, but I see this as an L.
Alabama A&M- SU wins by two TDs.
The Citadel- Citadel whips us physically...a loss.
Furman- This is the game the underdogs win. Furman looks polished, but we manage to eek out a win.
VMI- VMI is VMI. SU wins by a good four TDs. VMI begins to contemplate life in the NAIA.
ETSU- I just have a difficult time seeing us beating ETSU and Mercer back to back. Sure, it could happen, but ETSU is certainly trending upward. Still, I take the Dogs over the Bucs.
Mercer- The Dogs are 5-3 going into this game and their eyes are set on a potential eight win season and a FCS berth. Riddle gives the SU defense fits and keeps our offense off the field. Then, as Cujo says, Samford does what Samford does as the Dogs miss a golden opportunity. Mercer wins 24-16.
UTC- SU stands a better shot at beating the Packers than the Mocs. That is just how that series works. UTC wins decisively.
WCU- Dogs find a way to rebound on the road in beautiful Collowhee and win in a shootout against WCU. Welch has his best game of the season.
Auburn- In the immortal words of that great American poet Steve Miller, "Take the money and run". AU wins 47-10.

We finish 6-6 overall, 4-4 in the league, and finish fifth in the SoCon. Wofford is your 2019 SoCon champ.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby SU DOG » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:22 am

Smurf, your predictions may be right on, BUT a couple of changes would sure be nice. I AM NOT making predictions here, but consider.....

Dogs might beat YSU. Samford is normally well prepared for these opening games, and, other than last year, has not lost a first game against FCS since 2011. Last year we were well prepared for FSU, and didn't have much left for Mercer and their near perfect QB. Now toss out the cupcake openers, and we have beaten the likes of Kennesaw, UCA(twice), VMI, Georgia State(transitioning to FBS), and Furman. I think we have a really good chance against the Penguins, who lost their opener last year to non-scholly Butler. Opener and NOBODY knows what will happen.
Ditto on TTU, Wofford, and AAMU.
The last time The Citadel came to Seibert they were ranked #11 in the nation and were thumped 35-14. Not totally impossible for the W here.
Ditto on Furman, VMI, and ETSU.
At Mercer could very well be a L. The Bears may just be the most underrated team in the SoCon.
UTC comes in here on Senior Day. This has to end sometimes, and this could be the day.
AT WCU on their Senior Day, who knows? If they have had a bad year and we are heavily favored, then this would be the perfect time for us to blow an opportunity. I go by your choice, however, and give us the W.
Auburn - DITTO
Hey look, we have just had a fantastic year, 9 wins, and are headed to the PLAYOFFS. Yeah, I know, but I can dream can't I? :)
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:12 pm

I like our team and I like our schedule. No D-2's. Winnable and respectable non-conference FCS opponents. No SoCon game the week after our FBS opponent (0-3 last 3 seasons in that scenario), only play 2 option teams and they are not back to back weeks. I think we sneak up on some folks this year, and if we can stay healthy, win the league. The cupboard is not bare.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:07 pm

I hope we paste Youngstown state to the pavement. I hate that school.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:47 pm

Cujo wrote:I hope we paste Youngstown state to the pavement. I hate that school.

I don't know if we will win, just as nobody else knows at this time, BUT I challenge anyone to compare rosters and convince me that the Penguins have the most talent. Name any other factor - execution, coaching, bad breaks, team chemistry, etc. but don't tell me they have more talented players - I ain't buying. I don't care if they are in the MVFC - I AIN"T BUYING!!!
SU DOG

Return to The Dog Pound