Youngstown

Re: Youngstown

Postby SU DOG » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:30 pm

It wasn't one of us in this thread who first mentioned FU/MU. All that aside(we all have our own problems), I think it took too long to make the switch to Oladokun(thanks Captain Obvious). I only saw 2 practices of fall camp, but I was convinced that Liam was well ahead of Chris. I feel sorry for Welch, but as BearDownMU said, it's about winning the game. Normally you play like you practice, but in my coaching experience I have seen some kids that were just 'practice performers'. I hope Welch isn't one of those, but yesterday may indicate otherwise. As bad as Liam looked, Chris looked that good.

Speaking of the phrase 'play like you practice' I'm afraid that is exactly what we did. I know there is a fine line between hitting enough and getting players hurt, but I'm just not sure we are tough enough in practice. Missed tackles, IMO, didn't occur because the Guins RBs were so terrific. Also they didn't happen because our defensive players are that bad. I think maybe a lack of live contact and challenging situations in practice had a lots to do with it. As the season progresses that will probably improve, but yesterday was bad. I've never been a college coach, but we still have that reputation of being too soft to win games like this, especially when there is so much at stake. I don't know that we can really argue that point.

As has been said, Samford was again Samford. One team was ready to play, and one team wasn't. It hurts me to the core.
SU DOG

Postby Smurf » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:32 pm

I don't know if there is a soul on earth besides Bo Pelini and his precious cat that loves Bo Pelini. That being said, I think you could see that his team sort of takes on his rough tough demeanor. I don't know if they were bigger and stronger than we were, but they were tougher. YSU punched us all game long and we had no answer. Maybe we need to adopt #SamfordNeedsToToughenUp and lose #SamfordStrong.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:25 pm

We need to have a bevy of qbs like the USF transfer (I'm calling him that because I can't spell his last name). Our rushing attack would look a hell of a lot better and our offense would look a hell of a lot better with the dual threat and our best athlete touching the ball every play. I liked the way he got the ball out quickly too--he can throw the ball. I'd much rather see a defensive line hell bent on rushing the passer have to chase a guy for four quarters (and have their hands on their knees after 3 or 4 plays) that has to worry about getting up the field too quickly. Of course, the obvious counter to that is to drop 8 men into coverage and put a spy on him and dare him to throw the ball into tight spaces. We still have to be able to run the ball. I'm just rambling.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby 77SU » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:17 pm

Smurf wrote: Maybe we need to adopt #SamfordNeedsToToughenUp and lose #SamfordStrong.

We tried that approach with a certain men’s basketball coach and we all know where that got us. Maybe HCBS should have been hired for a football position?
77SU

Postby Smurf » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:22 pm

Speaking of BS, I read just a few days ago that he was hired on as an assistant at the University of Evansville.
BOE.
Smurf

Previous

Return to The Dog Pound