Samford Rumor - Please Read This

Samford Rumor - Please Read This

Postby SU DOG » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:05 pm

It may not be as big an issue to others as it is to me, but have any of you heard that our school is possibly dropping the color RED? This has been floating around, but I choose to rant now rather than taking emphasis off the big opening game. Now I don't particularly like red jerseys, but that is not my real issue with this. WHY, WHY mess with tradition? We have seen so many changes in the recent years, and now the possibility of this?
Some of these changes may have been necessary and were welcomed by fans on this Board, but many, IMO, have not been.

Fierce Dog with the word SAMFORD - Gone replaced by stately canine, more representative being less violent I guess.
Mascot - Name changed and looks changed(ever seen a Bulldog with a nose as long as Sam's? LOL) Spike too threatening a name I guess.
Interlocking SU Trademark - Gone
Logo - Changed
WVSU the Voice of Samford University where we could hear game broadcasts - Gone

Now, what changes would this decision entail? Well, I guess the fight song could no longer say "Cheer for the RED and blue."
Also, the RED Sea and Moses I suppose would never be seen again. IMO, this was one of our best, and dare I say only traditions.

I sure hope this is only a rumor, and I have no reason to be upset. I say let the coaches choose whether or not for their team to wear RED. WHY make this another school change? I hope to hear more detail soon and hopefully I have misunderstood. Rant end!
SU DOG

Re: Samford Rumor - Please Read This

Postby Smurf » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:42 pm

Not to hijack this thread (I would like to see us keep some red myself) but Is the athletic department actively involved in getting events back on the radio? Can anyone chime in here?

Honestly this is a major screw up. It's really bush league for us to have no pregame or post game show, not to mention no broadcast of the game. Is this how the athletic department treats its small but loyal fan base?
BOE.
Smurf

Postby 77SU » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:47 pm

We were surprised to see the new band uniforms made it look as if the school colors were navy, grey, and white. The only red uniform accessory were the plumes on the drum major hats. The pregame flags, navy with Samford in red, gave way to flags during halftime that looked like we stole them from_urman and the set that was reminiscent of El Cid. I commented that we were honoring all of the other schools in the SoCon.

This type of change, changing the school colors, would be coming out of the VP of Marketing and Communication office. Coaches can pick and choose color combinations, but dropping red has severe ramifications. There's a reason the student paper is The Samford Crimson. Use of crimson and blue date back to 1908. In the mid-20th century, crimson was replaced by red. (Source: Samford.edu/Traditions). The alma mater would also have to be rewritten.
77SU

Postby Cujo » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:14 pm

Or is it all just a great big complicated grand scheme to change the alma mater? Hmmmmm.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby big_dog1968 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:44 am

Let's kick the conspiracy theories up a notch. Could there a secret, anti-Trump motive here, banning MAGA red??? This has deep state written all over it! 8-)
big_dog1968

Postby sudog03 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:04 pm

Smurf wrote:Not to hijack this thread (I would like to see us keep some red myself) but Is the athletic department actively involved in getting events back on the radio? Can anyone chime in here?

Honestly this is a major screw up. It's really bush league for us to have no pregame or post game show, not to mention no broadcast of the game. Is this how the athletic department treats its small but loyal fan base?

Haven't asked this question directly, but I'll take a guess at it. I think a couple of years ago a decision was made, given our finite resources, that they would be better spent improving our video broadcast across all sports. I think we've made some pretty significant investments in that area. I spend some time watching multiple sports both home and away, and the quality and availability of our home broadcasts, frankly blow our conference peers away, and most of the time are better than the G5 schools we play, and some of the P5 schools we play in the non-revenue generating sports. For example, every one of our home soccer games are available on the ESPN platform. I think we are the only team in the league that can say that. I would imagine that's a plus our coaches in those sports can use recruiting athletes whose hometown is a distance away. Having to underwrite a season of say football/MBB on radio isn't cheap. Nobody is paying Samford for their broadcast rights, I can just about assure you, plus you have the expense of broadcaster and their travel. Would I love to have both? Sure, but personally, I can see the trade off.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:06 pm

After the soccer game Sunday, maybe we should reconsider whether we broadcast them.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby Smurf » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:22 pm

Well, we need to find out how other schools with lesser budgets do it then. Campbell, for instance, which has had significant increases in their football expenses because of their transition into real FCS football, has a tie with ESPN and they have their own broadcast crew with an FM broadcast. Other schools with lesser budgets do too.

I also think it is an affront to the small but loyal fan base that we actually have to pay to watch or listen to a game. There are times where we should be paid to watch this stuff instead of paying to watch. I don't pay for ESPN+ not because I cannot afford $3.99 a month, but because of the principle.

Also, regarding the quality, the video broadcast itself is solid. You are right. There should be very little question about that. It is impressive. However, the play by play on some of these is not only atrocious, but truly embarrassing. Without going into detail, you all probably know what I am talking about here. It's like watching a movie in 4K with nothing but irritating high pitched feedback during the entire flick.

And if you are local and attend games, you get screwed too. You can't listen to the game at the game (unless you want to stream it on your phone via your provider's network, which might cost you data overage fees) and you can't listen to the pregame or post game on the way to and from the game because of a) the aforementioned dilemma, or b) because there actually isn't a pregame or post game show (another casualty).

sudog03, this isn't meant to be an attack on you. I know you are just the messenger and you are probably correct on your reasons why this change has happened. It's just that this is a poor move in my humble, but yet impassioned opinion. Next thing you know, we'll be dropping the red from our school colors and using silly school abbreviations with dots and whatnot.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby sudog03 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:35 pm

No problem here, I don't offend easily and it's pure speculation on my part.
sudog03

Return to The Dog Pound