Were There A Few Good Things Saturday?

Were There A Few Good Things Saturday?

Postby SU DOG » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:57 pm

Bitter embarrassing point spread loss, but without the TOs and lack of pass interference calls, maybe not so badly one-sided. Yeah, we still lose but not by near that margin. I'm trying to be optimistic yet realistic here.

Returner - not since Fabian Truss have I seen us with such an electrifying returner as Montrell Washington - good WR too.
LB - I like what I saw from Nathan East. Also, young Trimarcus Cheeks is really fast and will have a good season as a true Fr.
DE - You have to be impressed with Brett Granger. This kid can give QBs nightmares with his pass rush.
QB - Oladokun gave the spark we needed to see sooner. A dual-threat for sure.
Punter - See some of those high snaps he fielded, and still got a good punt off? Averaged 43.4 with a long of 59 yds.
New RT - Gavin Orr had his forgettable moments, but I thought he held his own pretty well against the big 270 pound Florida xfer Justus Reed
Ware - So our effective running game is still only a pipe dream. However, Demarcus averaged better than 5 yds/carry with no negatives.
DL in 3rd quarter - Nice adjustments to shut down Penguins after halftime. Out of gas with no help from offense in 4th.

I'm sure there are others, but at least I have found some silver lining to base hope on. I think the potential is here for a very good year.

Actually my biggest concern is missed tackles in the open field. Time after time we just barely missed a tackle that would have gotten our D off the field. I'm hoping this will be corrected, and I think it will.
SU DOG

Re: Were There A Few Good Things Saturday?

Postby Smurf » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:11 pm

Credit YSU for keeping us out of position on some of those plays. I like what they do offensively even though it isn't sexy.

I have been high on Montrell Washington since his freshman season. He is incredibly quick. He can indeed be a real special teams asset.

Ware has the ability to be a really really good back for us...if we will make running the ball a priority. Antwione Sims is another one who can be a solid contributor, again if we opt to give these guys more touches.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:22 pm

East made some nice plays, but he also took himself out of a lot of plays by being out of control. You can’t say he isn’t going full speed all the time though.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby sudog03 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:19 am

I think all of that's well said SU Dog. One thing I would add, is that we didn't fold our tent. We fought to the end and prevented a bad situation from getting worse. Let's show up Saturday in Cookeville with a bad taste in our mouth.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:02 pm

I’m not going, unless the “us” in your “let’s” wasn’t in reference to those of us onthe board.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Return to The Dog Pound