Tenn Tech - The Historical Perspective

Tenn Tech - The Historical Perspective

Postby SU DOG » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:37 pm

The series stands at 12-10 Samford. The first game was played in 1934, with Samford winning 26-0. I had planned to make the trip, but something came up, and I didn't get to go.

In 1958, Samford lost to the TTU "B" Team 18-22, in a game played in Athens(not Greece). The following year, Bobby Bowden won the FIRST game he coached in Seibert Stadium, beating the Tech "B" Team 34-0. One of 6 shutouts that the Bowden Dogs would pitch in that 9 win season.

Sept. 17, 1988 - I actually did make the trip up to Cookeville to see this one. It turned out to be the FIRST win ever for Samford over a FCS(1AA) Team. The Dogs were transitioning from D3 and were the underdogs. Scott Engle connected on 2 field goals, and Brady Jones threw a HB pass to Tim Richardson to give Samford a 12-0 halftime lead, as the PAT was missed. Ted Darby was 12-23 with no interceptions and the final score was 19-9 Samford. Legendary Tech Coach Jim Ragland called it his "most embarrassing loss ever". Ragland(who passed away in 2006) coached there for 1986-1995. He was a "Tech Man" who also was VERY instrumental in fund raising for the school. Last October the football team wore special helmets on their homecoming to honor Coach Ragland. Interestingly enough, this game vs Murray State was their ONLY win in 2018.

Oct. 27, 2007 - It was Samford's last season in the OVC, and Pat Sullivan's first year as the Dog's HC. I also did make this game in Cookeville TN. The Golden Eagle's Coach was Watson Brown(first coach in NCAA history to lose 200 games). Brown was a native of Cookeville, and was one of the highest rated QBs in the nation coming out of HS. It was no secret that Brown and Sullivan(both former coaches at UAB) were NOT very fond of one another - to put it mildly. It was therefore a very important game for these guys. It was a personal milestone for me because AD Bob Roller invited me to come into the Samford locker room at halftime, the only time I have ever been privily to do that. It was a game where the defenses took a day off, but the main thing was that Pat got to enjoy a 59-52 win over his former HC.

Now, having bored ya'll long enough, I will just say that we need a win in Cookeville Saturday. GO DOGS!!!!!
SU DOG

Re: Tenn Tech - The Historical Perspective

Postby sudog03 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:28 pm

Fun read. Thanks for posting.
sudog03

Re: Tenn Tech - The Historical Perspective

Postby 77SU » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:46 pm

We went to Cookeville the year the tornado struck the area, but not at the stadium. I believe we lost.
77SU

Return to The Dog Pound