Defensive philosophies and the results they produce

Defensive philosophies and the results they produce

Postby DawgFan » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:10 am

If you want to know how a school that puts a real emphasis on defense recruits, take a look at the rosters of UNA Vs. Samford. No doubt there is a huge difference there. As far as results the Lions beat Western Illinois yesterday who beat Youngstown State last year. The Bulldogs in the meantime, we’ll we know where this program stands and unfortunately where it is headed. Samford asked for this now unfortunately must live with the sad results.
DawgFan

Re: Defensive philosophies and the results they produce

Postby SU DOG » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:38 pm

First off - CONGRATS to the Lions. Impressive win, and I watched a good bit of the streaming. I did go to their roster, but I did NOT see what you referred to Dawg Fan. If you simply compare bios, Samford's defensive players have much much higher rated credentials than UNA's. By credentials I mean All-State, 247Sports star ratings, FBS offers and etc. I did this by trying to compare starters, and I offer this as my honest evaluation, and I tried to be unbiased. Samford's defense is bigger, if you compare sizes also. What I think is that our recruiting with Recruiting Coordinator Coach Newton is NOT the concern. These are really good highly sought after players. This is not to say that they are playing even at the level of the defense of UNA. They are NOT playing up to snuff. Yes, there is something definitely wrong with our defense right now. To deny that is simply dumb. I have my own theories and several have been discussed here. The question is - will this defense start playing to their potential this season? Just thinking (and I may be wrong with a lot of my thinking), but we may actually be seeing the BEST QB in the SoCon - now that he is no longer a bench warmer. :) IF our defense can figure things out, what kind of a season can be possible?
SU DOG

Postby paladinfan » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:39 pm

DawgFan wrote:If you want to know how a school that puts a real emphasis on defense recruits, take a look at the rosters of UNA Vs. Samford. No doubt there is a huge difference there. As far as results the Lions beat Western Illinois yesterday who beat Youngstown State last year. The Bulldogs in the meantime, we’ll we know where this program stands and unfortunately where it is headed. Samford asked for this now unfortunately must live with the sad results.

Outsider perspective here, but the issue isn't a lack of talent on Samford's defense or the defensive philosophy. The problem, in my opinion, is the offensive philosophy.

In two contests, Samford's opponents have run 177 plays to Samford's 114 (+63). TTU ran almost 40 more plays than Samford did. Hatcher's insistence on moving fast and scoring quickly creates a world where the defense is on the field for most of the game. Unless Samford has some incredible defensive depth, their boys are going to wear down late in the game.
paladinfan

Postby sudog03 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:01 pm

FYI, UNA gave up 61 this week. And in terms of offensive philosophy, we scored on our last 8 offensive possessions against TTU. So yeah, I'm for that kind of philosophy. Figure out how to get a stop. It doesn't take a dominant defense to win games if your doing that on offense.
sudog03

Return to The Dog Pound