UNA, JSU, UAB All Fell At PHC

UNA, JSU, UAB All Fell At PHC

Postby SU DOG » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:45 pm

Samford Volleyball beat all 3 of these teams this weekend by a combined 9-1 sets score in winning the Samford Invitational. UAB was able to win one set. I will say, however, that the Dogs must improve on their play to be able to win the SoCon. That may sound like a strange statement in light of the above news, but I think I'm right. There are several conference teams far better than any of these 3. But Coach Chan also has a track record of bringing his teams to peak at the right time.
For now, however, CONGRATS Samford Volleyball Ladies!!! Good Job!!!
SU DOG

Re: UNA, JSU, UAB All Fell At PHC

Postby SU DOG » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:44 pm

While at it, CONGRATS to the Samford Women's XC Team who participated in the Falcon Classic in Montevallo. They won the championship by beating out the #2 team - The University of Alabama Crimson Tide. 8-)
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:06 pm

I really appreciate and applaud the kind of success most of our women's programs enjoy within the conference. I think there is the ability though to create a top 50 type program within say a volleyball, soccer, or softball program at SU. The kind that wins a game in a NCAA tourney. They are all well funded from a scholarship prospective, have nice facilities and have a very recruit able university for females.
sudog03

Postby SU DOG » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:53 pm

I believe we have the resources to be competitive in ANY of our sports male or female. It has been said that if we get a family on campus for a visit, that recruit will most times be a signee. I think we should be at least top 3 in the SoCon almost every year in whatever sport you name. There are of course injuries and unforeseen circumstances that enter the picture, and those have to be taken into account. One of the most consistent winners has been baseball. Casey has a real disadvantage with finances competing against schools that have cheaper tuition and the lottery funding available, yet he usually has his team at or very near the top of the conference. The 11.7 schollies are available for 27 players, with no player to receive less than 25% of a scholarship, so it doesn't take a math genius to see how these schools with lottery funding can have an advantage. Coach Tiffin in Track has a similar situation, yet his guys are usually up there competing for the championship.

I'm not saying everything is perfect for our coaches and sports programs. There are areas that need to be improved for sure. I do think, however, that we are now on a more level playing field than probably ever before in BOTH Men's and Women's Sports. A few years ago, we were so severely underfunded and had facilities that were just awful when compared to teams we tried to compete with. With our campus, where we are located, and various other great resources, I stand by my top 3 rule. If a coach, in whatever sport/gender is given time and can't get us there, and consistently keep us there, then he or she should be put on notice. Even if we get to the top 3 consistently and never win the championship, then that coach should also be sitting on a hot seat. You play to WIN!!
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:42 pm

Buddy, I don't think I said that any other sport has any competitive disadvantage as it relates to competing within the league. I think I said those sports have a different opportunity. If you feel it isn't easier to recruit females to SU than males, that's just something we will have to disagree on.
sudog03

Postby SU DOG » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:55 pm

sudog03 wrote:Buddy, I don't think I said that any other sport has any competitive disadvantage as it relates to competing within the league. I think I said those sports have a different opportunity. If you feel it isn't easier to recruit females to SU than males, that's just something we will have to disagree on.

I think any school in the SoCon can cite a recruiting disadvantage if they wish to. The military institutes can certainly say so in recruiting females, maybe Wofford in lack of size, publics often complain of state underfunding, etc. We may not disagree on the female issue, but it is my contention that
this, academic requirements, or anything else not be used as an excuse by any of our coaches(and no you didn't say that was the case). Sometimes a coach needs to turn lemons into lemonade if he has to. IMO, recruiting, however, has been really good in most all of our Men's athletics. My argument would be enforced by looking at the football players who were All-Americans, are/were on NFL rosters and the BB players that transferred and started for P5 marquee teams last year.

Are we getting our teams(particularly BB and FB) to play up to their talent potential? This is where I say NO, I don't think so. I'm not calling for anyone's head at this time - I just want to see Samford WIN.
SU DOG

Return to The Dog Pound