Mercer

Re: Mercer

Postby Smurf » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:30 pm

Factually we are in the conference hunt, but practically speaking we are not really in the conference hunt. Furman would have to lose two of their next three, Wofford would have to lose one more, VMI would need to lose at least one more game, and we would have to win out. Further complicating the scenario is that VMI and Furman, two teams ahead of us in the standings, play each other. It would take a perfect storm for us to truly be in the hunt for a conference title given that we are currently in fifth place with only three more weeks of conference play remaining.

The VMI loss sealed our fate. Had we not laid down for those guys, we would be 4-1 right now in second place. I keep waiting for Hatcher's team to show a sense of urgency against inferior teams (although admittedly VMI isn't the VMI we have known in the past) when the stakes are high. I keep waiting for lessons to be learned, but they are not.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby sudog03 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:43 pm

What if we beat UTC, UTC beats Furman, and Furman beats Wofford? I don't look at 3-2 as fifth, personally at this point. We are tied 3rd best record in the league. Lot of football to play.
sudog03

Postby SAM1014 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:06 pm

"if you aint first, you're last" - Cujo
SAM1014

Postby Cujo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:14 pm

SAM1014 wrote:"if you aint first, you're last" - Cujo

LOL That's Ricky Cujo to you.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby FUBeAR » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:02 pm

sudog03 wrote:We were up 16 points with 2:20 to play, so yes, I am claiming we were in control of the game. Also, I said they both stink, not that one was appreciably better than the other. Nice try to change the narrative by mentioning the VMI game, lol. BTW, we actually won that game if you watch the tape.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.
FUBeAR

Postby FUBeAR » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:46 pm

From looking at Mercer’s 2-Deep in the Mercer Game Notes, which appear to be updated...

...it seems Mercer will, tonight, be without 3 Starting O-Linemen - OT Sanders, OG Robinson, and OG Flath.

Also - I believe we can extrapolate, from the fact that Max Burke is listed on the 2-Deep as a WR, that Mercer will be without the services of at least 6 exp’d WR’s on their roster...Tony Jones (he’s been out all year), Rob Lake, Camiel Grant, Edmond Graham, DeMond Ellison, and Landon Miller. Jones started several games last season & the other 5 have all either started or played extensively & all have receptions this season, and in prior seasons. As far as I can tell/recall, Max Burke, a 5-10/176 R-FR Walk-on, has no prior game action @ WR for Mercer, though he does show up as ‘participating’ in the past 2 weeks.

UGH
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.
FUBeAR

Postby sudog03 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:05 pm

We have more scholarship DB's hurt than we have healthy, no sympathy here.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:05 pm

By midseason, we always have more dbs hurt than playing. We might want to look into why that is. Do we need to recruit bigger stronger more durable athletes? Does our defense require our dbs to make too many plays? Is our strength and conditioning program not up to par? It’s the same thing every year. Figure out why and fix it.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby sudog03 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:10 pm

I think the number of plays goes into it for sure. Getting hit by cars doesn't help either.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:17 pm

sudog03 wrote:I think the number of plays goes into it for sure. Getting hit by cars doesn't help either.

Hit by cars? Maybe we need to recruit smarter players. Look both ways before crossing the street is pretty basic stuff.
Cujo

PreviousNext

Return to The Dog Pound