I will get over this at some point, but today's not the day

I will get over this at some point, but today's not the day

Postby sudog03 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:30 pm

vmi3.jpeg
vmi3.jpeg (35.23 KiB) Viewed 192 times
VMI4.jpeg
VMI4.jpeg (31.36 KiB) Viewed 192 times

Not to mention the egregious clock issues, but VMI was given a full yard on their final play from scrimmage. You may to click the photos to see the full picture. Clearly stopped with no forward progress on the 39.5, short of first down. After the review, ball jumps forward a full yard. I really just wanted to post for folks who may not have seen it.
sudog03

Re: I will get over this at some point, but today's not the

Postby Cujo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:56 pm

The top photos doesn't' show forward progress, but I gather the real point of your post is that there is no way absent the mismanagement of the clock that VMI can get their kicker on the field and lineup to kick a field goal in the time remaining, right? It was egregious, but it never should have been that close to begin with.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:45 pm

I agree that the end of the game made me wonder if those officials from the Russia vs USA Olympic Basketball game were calling it - I would have thought they were WAY too old. :lol: On the other hand, what I would point out that is tough for me to get over was our defense. The 390 passing yards that Samford allowed is the most that VMI has gained ALL YEAR. That includes both OOC and SoCon games. Their total yardage of 538 yds. was bested ONLY by their 571 against Mars Hill. If we had played some D, VMI would have never gotten the chance for OT.
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:44 pm

We have our flaws just as every other team in this league does. I think they've been well discussed. Defense had a poor 1st half, offense didn't play well in the 2nd, and we shouldn't have kicked the ball out of bounds to start that drive. No doubt. There is not much difference in 1-8 in this league this year. If the refs got that call right, we would be 4-1 and tied for best record.

P.S. - There was no forward progress.
sudog03

Postby Smurf » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:56 pm

Murphy's Law was in full gear for us in the last two minutes of this game. It was a perfect storm of screw ups.

We inexplicably kicked the ball out of bounds (this may have been the single biggest mistake that led to the VMI victory; no way they are in FG range if we don't give them the ball on the 35). The defense failed to do their job and allowed VMI to drive the ball into our territory. There was a questionable spot on the second to last play. The clock management by the officials was simply horrible...horrible. I still don't understand what happened. And then, the VMI kicker ties a record for the longest FG in conference history to send the game in OT with no time left on the clock. What an all around cluster.
BOE.
Smurf

Return to The Dog Pound