Basketball 2

Basketball 2

Postby Cujo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:33 pm

I see we beat Kentucky Weslyan. That’s good. I didn’t witness it. How did we look?
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Re: Basketball 2

Postby Smurf » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:36 pm

Whatever happens on the court this season, regardless of how bleak things might seem at times, rest assured the performance of the team always will far outweigh the performance of our "play by play" broadcast.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby SU DOG » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:08 pm

Smurf wrote:Whatever happens on the court this season, regardless of how bleak things might seem at times, rest assured the performance of the team always will far outweigh the performance of our "play by play" broadcast.

How very true that is smurf. Also, unfortunately from what I see, it is going to be a L-O-N-G year. :(
SU DOG

Postby Smurf » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:22 pm

Honestly there is no real play by play. During play there are conversations and excessive anecdotal information ranging from Curt Bloom's height, to an obligatory baseball reference, to the fact that he prefers to color coordinate his outfits the night before work. And this isn't just an occasional quick interjection. These type of meaningless conversations occur regularly during gameplay. The quality of the play by play was a lot better back when I didn't have to pay a dime for it. SU has really dropped the ball on this.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:27 pm

I can’t wait to listen to my first broadcast.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:34 pm

Smurf wrote:Honestly there is no real play by play. During play there are conversations and excessive anecdotal information ranging from Curt Bloom's height, to an obligatory baseball reference, to the fact that he prefers to color coordinate his outfits the night before work. And this isn't just an occasional quick interjection. These type of meaningless conversations occur regularly during gameplay. The quality of the play by play was a lot better back when I didn't have to pay a dime for it. SU has really dropped the ball on this.

So TRUE. I actually confronted Bloom last year before a MBB game and told him that we need better description of the games. I told him that streaming is good, but that we often don't get to see who subs in, commits the foul or what the call actually was. He didn't seem offended, but he also didn't seem too interested in my concern. Blake Gardner, IMO does a fantastic job in whatever he announces, and is a far better P-B-P announcer. Bloom is an award winning announcer, but he is used to filling in dead baseball time with these personal discussions. They don't work for BB or FB, but he doesn't seem to get that. I'll never forget one night that, for SEVERAL minutes he "informed" us all as to the geography of where I-65 went south of here to Montgomery and the distance involved. This was all while the teams were playing basketball. I see I'm not the only one with this gripe.

BTW, cujo, if you get ESPN+, you can replay last night's game, but I assume you are not subscribed.
SU DOG

Postby Smurf » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:06 pm

SU DOG wrote:
Smurf wrote:Honestly there is no real play by play. During play there are conversations and excessive anecdotal information ranging from Curt Bloom's height, to an obligatory baseball reference, to the fact that he prefers to color coordinate his outfits the night before work. And this isn't just an occasional quick interjection. These type of meaningless conversations occur regularly during gameplay. The quality of the play by play was a lot better back when I didn't have to pay a dime for it. SU has really dropped the ball on this.

Blake Gardner, IMO does a fantastic job in whatever he announces, and is a far better P-B-P announcer. Bloom is an award winning announcer, but he is used to filling in dead baseball time with these personal discussions. They don't work for BB or FB, but he doesn't seem to get that. I'll never forget one night that, for SEVERAL minutes he "informed" us all as to the geography of where I-65 went south of here to Montgomery and the distance involved. This was all while the teams were playing basketball.

BTW, cujo, if you get ESPN+, you can replay last night's game, but I assume you are not subscribed.

Unfortunately I remember that Birmingham to Montgomery diatribe. I was beginning to think that someone could just hop in their car and drive from Birmingham to Montgomery and experience it first hand in the length of time it took for him to actually describe the journey.

And Gardner is the real deal. I was skeptical at first that such a young guy could take over for Mike Grace and be successful, but the kid is excellent. He can enjoy a nice long career as a play-by-play guy if he so desires. I would sure love to hear him behind the mic for football and basketball games.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:31 pm

Why do you assume that, Poet Dog?
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:36 am

Cujo wrote:Why do you assume that, Poet Dog?

Obvious supposition from your comment: "I can't wait to listen to my first broadcast". If you were a subscriber you could immediately click on the replay.
SU DOG

Postby Cujo » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:46 am

Obvious supposition? You have been retired too long, my friend. First, I don’t have time to just fire up the video and watch it immediately, but that’s not the point. Second, I was being ironic based upon the descriptions of the broadcast, i.e. I wasn’t really looking forward to it. Geez, guy writes a work of art poem and he suddenly becomes a irritable, unstable genius.
Cujo

Return to The Dog Pound