Sharkey

Sharkey

Postby 47bulldog » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:39 pm

While everyone is distracted with MBB’s lackluster performance at UNA, I think the better topic is Sharkey. MBB has put everything into this player — marketing, basing plays off his erratic and dramatic dribbling (or walking) through a crowded area of the paint — and yet, we are clearly not being told the truth about his mysterious disappearance from first the Belmont game, then the UVA-Wise game, and most recently UNA.

We were told by Newton’s son that he had a shoulder injury at the UVA-Wise game, but were given no specifics regarding this “injury.” I cannot recall ever hearing that Sharkey has shoulder issues. Am I wrong? Then, I heard from a source in Athletics that he in fact had no shoulder injury and was instead suspended for 4 games. If the external communications is run like their offense, then I’m not surprised by this blatant lie.

All of this to say — we committed this on ourselves when SP put everything into this player.
47bulldog
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:04 am
Location: Birmingham, AL

Re: Sharkey

Postby DC_INT'L » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:34 pm

It's not about one player. It goes deeper than that.

Look, we made a catastrophic mistake in hiring BS. No question about it. It takes a couple of years to come out from under that. But, in year 6, your best recruits should be juniors and seniors.

Success at our level is about building a program with a defined culture. Outward indications don't prove that to be happening (I have no insider knowledge).

It's hard to market mediocrity when that's the ceiling.
DC_INT'L
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:34 pm
Location: La Méd

Re: Sharkey

Postby Smurf » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:07 pm

47bulldog wrote:While everyone is distracted with MBB’s lackluster performance at UNA, I think the better topic is Sharkey. MBB has put everything into this player — marketing, basing plays off his erratic and dramatic dribbling (or walking) through a crowded area of the paint — and yet, we are clearly not being told the truth about his mysterious disappearance from first the Belmont game, then the UVA-Wise game, and most recently UNA.

We were told by Newton’s son that he had a shoulder injury at the UVA-Wise game, but were given no specifics regarding this “injury.” I cannot recall ever hearing that Sharkey has shoulder issues. Am I wrong? Then, I heard from a source in Athletics that he in fact had no shoulder injury and was instead suspended for 4 games. If the external communications is run like their offense, then I’m not surprised by this blatant lie.

All of this to say — we committed this on ourselves when SP put everything into this player.


SU has an awful long way to go in terms of communication. The Sharkey incident is just the latest in a series of failings by our athletic department in this regard.
BOE.
Smurf
 
Posts: 5183
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:17 pm
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Sharkey

Postby big_dog1968 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:57 pm

Smurf wrote:
47bulldog wrote:While everyone is distracted with MBB’s lackluster performance at UNA, I think the better topic is Sharkey. MBB has put everything into this player — marketing, basing plays off his erratic and dramatic dribbling (or walking) through a crowded area of the paint — and yet, we are clearly not being told the truth about his mysterious disappearance from first the Belmont game, then the UVA-Wise game, and most recently UNA.

We were told by Newton’s son that he had a shoulder injury at the UVA-Wise game, but were given no specifics regarding this “injury.” I cannot recall ever hearing that Sharkey has shoulder issues. Am I wrong? Then, I heard from a source in Athletics that he in fact had no shoulder injury and was instead suspended for 4 games. If the external communications is run like their offense, then I’m not surprised by this blatant lie.

All of this to say — we committed this on ourselves when SP put everything into this player.


SU has an awful long way to go in terms of communication. The Sharkey incident is just the latest in a series of failings by our athletic department in this regard.

Who's our SID? Don't we have some well connected posters who could ask what the deal was? If he really has been injured then nobody should be suggesting anything nefarious here or anywhere else. If there was a disciplinary issue they should at least give an indication in that regard. You don't have to violate the kid's privacy to let people know that here was an issue and how it is being dealt with.
Image
User avatar
big_dog1968
 
Posts: 2391
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: Sharkey

Postby hotdiggitydog » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:58 pm

Privacy is a bigger concern than you may think. Samford is by no means the only school that tries to keep this type of information in confidence whenever possible. Sometimes it is School policy, sometimes AD policy, sometimes it varies at the team level. The demise of the local news media has resulted in less of this type info getting out as well...especially at schools who are not contending for BCS national championships. Whether it is an injury or discipline, information is often withheld these days.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
hotdiggitydog
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:47 pm
Location: Possum Hollow, Shelby County, AL

Re: Sharkey

Postby SU DOG » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:41 pm

hotdiggitydog wrote:Privacy is a bigger concern than you may think. Samford is by no means the only school that tries to keep this type of information in confidence whenever possible. Sometimes it is School policy, sometimes AD policy, sometimes it varies at the team level. The demise of the local news media has resulted in less of this type info getting out as well...especially at schools who are not contending for BCS national championships. Whether it is an injury or discipline, information is often withheld these days.


True.. BTW, Did anyone ever hear how badly QB Michael Eubank's back was injured? :lol: :lol: :lol:
SU DOG
 
Posts: 7404
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:30 pm

Re: Sharkey

Postby Cujo » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:25 pm

Lol.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo
 
Posts: 10678
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:34 am


Return to The Dog Pound

  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests