Football Thoughts

Football Thoughts

Postby sudog03 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:25 pm

- Been a season full of frustration and disappointment. For me personally, more frustration than disappointment. The 3 games that we held 4th quarter leads and couldn't win (TTU, VMI, and Mercer), were really frustrating. The games where we didn't look really motivated to play were disappointing. It was nice to finish league with a 4-4 record, and if the games this week go the way of the favorites, it will be good for 4th in league I believe. Certainly not where we want to be, but also a far cry from being in the bottom of the league where some thought we were headed this season.

- Not that it matters, but let me go on the record and say I hope Bill D'Ottavio returns as our DC. He is finishing his 13th season at Samford, has put quality defenses on the field, graduated players, and put guys in the NFL at a rate unseen before in program history. We've certainly had our issues defensively, alot of them being compounded by a sometimes very ineffective offense. For some perspective, our defense is 3rd in the league in yards allowed per play*, our offense is last in the league in yards gained per play* and last in the league in turnovers allowed*. After the 1st play Saturday, our defense allowed 3.83 yards per play and forced 2 turnovers. An outstanding performance.

- We have alot of areas for improvement for next season. For one, our QB play has got to be better. Way better. We have had 18 turnovers from that position and another 5 fumbles that were recovered but resulted in negative plays. A below 60% percentage (59.5%) is never going to work in an air raid system. We have to get stronger and faster on every level of our on defense. We were limited in what packages we could play due to injuries in the backfield, but our base defense must improve as well.

- I hope we can have some fun Saturday.

*Using league games only.
sudog03

Return to The Dog Pound