WBB Today

WBB Today

Postby SU DOG » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:15 pm

At 2:00 PM at the PHC vs Tenn Tech. I think I will take this one in. Our team is far better than what most think, even though the record is not good, they have played good teams close. I still don't think we will be next to last in the SoCon this year. It is on ESPN+ if you are not near here. Good luck to Volleyball today also. Get another championship.

GO DOGS!!!!!
SU DOG

Re: WBB Today

Postby sudog03 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:32 pm

Not new coaches fault, but hope we can get to 5 D1 wins. May take more than 1 recruiting class to get this program back competitive.
sudog03

Postby Smurf » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:58 pm

At this point five Division I wins wouldn't be bad. The non-conference portion of the schedule still presents challenges games against UAB, WKU, and Kentucky still on the horizon. Current RPI is 314.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby SU DOG » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:07 pm

Better recalculate smurf. Today at UNA, the Dogs UPSET the Lions 79-63. Before you say - "but that was North Alabama" you must not know that last year these Lions beat Vanderbilt on their way to a 21 win year including 2 wins in the Women's NIT. I think they returned every one of those players. This year, before today, they were 3-1, averaging over 90 ppg, and that one loss was a 5 point setback(81-86) at Big 10 Iowa.

Do yourself a favor if you have ESPN+ and click on the replay. I promise you that you will enjoy it. This team may not be championship talent this year, but they will win several games in the SoCon. A top tier finish IS possible.
SU DOG

Postby SU DOG » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:23 pm

Yesterday in Montgomery, this Samford team blew out the Alabama State Hornets by a final score of 83-48. It was 63-25 after 3 quarters, and Coach emptied our bench. Alabama State was undefeated at home, having recently defeated JSU 68-63. On a related side note, former Samford player Destiny Elliott scored 10 points for the Gamecocks in their loss. I remember she transferred to Bama after playing some good basketball with the Dogs(wasn't that about 10 years ago? :lol: ), then wound up at Jacksonville State.

Another recent victim to the Dogs, just returned from the Denver Thanksgiving Classic, where they were 2-0. Their last game was vs UC-Irvine who they crushed 88-60. Their only losses remain - at Iowa, and at home vs Samford. In 7 games, the Bulldogs are the ONLY team to hold the high scoring UNA Lions to less than 80 points. :o

Now, tomorrow night our Dogs go over to Bartow Arena to play UAB, The Blazers have maybe their best team ever. I'm too lazy to look up their RPI, but again, they are a really good team. Their guards at 6-1 and 6-2 are taller than most anyone's. Auburn went in there on Nov. 21, and left Bartow Arena with a 68-63 loss to the Blazers. It will be interesting to see if we can compete. I will again, however, remind my buddy smurf to re-calculate. LOL.
SU DOG

Postby Smurf » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:37 pm

I also remember reading here a few months ago that Liam Welch was the real deal and that the football team was going to surprise some people and be in the hunt for a playoff berth. We all know how that all turned out.

I buy into the hype only after the fact and not before.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby SU DOG » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:25 pm

Well, somebody else must believe the hype. Smurf mentioned the RPI at 314. Today Samford's RPI has mushroomed to 204. ;)
SU DOG

Postby SU DOG » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:13 pm

Ok, we didn't win, BUT we were behind UAB by FOUR POINTS with 29 seconds to go. Last year this team beat us by 25 at the PHC. We have a team that is going to be VERY competitive in the SoCon THIS year. One reason is the play of our big post player Natalie Armstrong. She is listed at 6-2, but with her size and wingspan she plays at about 6-4. In 3 of her last four games she has averaged 24.3ppg. At UAB she scored 22. In the blowout vs Alabama State, she only played half of the game and scored 12 points. She may be the most dominate post player in the SoCon this year. That honor is supposed to belong to big(6-3) Celina Taborn of Furman. In watching both play, however, I am convinced that Armstrong is the best of the two. That matchup is something that we should look forward to. I'm not crowning us champion, but I promise we are going to enjoy more conference wins than anyone thought and if this team keeps improving.....just sayin...….

https://samfordsports.com/news/2019/12/ ... -week.aspx
SU DOG

Return to The Dog Pound