Chattanooga

Re: Chattanooga

Postby DawgFan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:29 am

Yeah, BSC, Miles and UAB all have played the Barons in exhibition games the last few years. Samford’s only men’s team worth their salt has not. Birmingham metro also has pro Hockey with the Bulls. New stadium being built downtown. Yes, it will mostly be home to UAB but I bet BSC hosts Huntington there before the Dogs ever play face an opponent there. Thank goodness we have a G League team that will find the completely renovated BJCC as its home so the dreadful state of college basketball in this area ( UAB is not bad) can be further ignored as Cujo said. Birmingham Legion soccer has been well received and I feel sure with the new stadium Birmingham will have an XFL team in the near future. The latest edition of BSC magazine is called the Birmingham edition and highlights BSC’s contributions to a new day in Birmingham. So, while SU caters to Nashville and Atlanta, I don’t feel SU Athletics have ever been as irrelevant and completely ignored as they are now. SU actually gets the rare opportunity to host Alabama in Basketball and about 60 fans showed up to pull for our Bulldogs. No publicity but then if that’s what the administration wants I guess they have hit their goal in the bullseye. As for our NFL and MLB alumni I think that is awesome. But, I’d rather see wins vs Millsaps, Maryville and BSC than embarrassments like we see year in and year out on the hardwood and gridiron!
DawgFan

Postby SAM1014 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:47 am

If we went D3 I would stop going to games completely. D3 games don’t matter and never will. We are perfectly fine where we are. We just need coaches who can actually coach
SAM1014

Postby 77SU » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:04 am

It’s not just the folks here that notice what is going on.

Went to a couples bridal supper and the father of a graduate asked what was going on with the MBB team. He had watched part of the game this afternoon and said Samford looked terrible. Another guest is former basketball coach of teams at Butler, Johnson, and Jemison. I don’t know how many state championships he won (AP knows who I’m talking about), asked how the team was doing. I told him the score for today, and his first comment was whether it is coaching, players, or a combination. His second q uestion was if the coach was safe or not.
77SU

Postby sudog03 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:46 am

DawgFan wrote:Yeah, BSC, Miles and UAB all have played the Barons in exhibition games the last few years. Samford’s only men’s team worth their salt has not. Birmingham metro also has pro Hockey with the Bulls. New stadium being built downtown. Yes, it will mostly be home to UAB but I bet BSC hosts Huntington there before the Dogs ever play face an opponent there. Thank goodness we have a G League team that will find the completely renovated BJCC as its home so the dreadful state of college basketball in this area ( UAB is not bad) can be further ignored as Cujo said. Birmingham Legion soccer has been well received and I feel sure with the new stadium Birmingham will have an XFL team in the near future. The latest edition of BSC magazine is called the Birmingham edition and highlights BSC’s contributions to a new day in Birmingham. So, while SU caters to Nashville and Atlanta, I don’t feel SU Athletics have ever been as irrelevant and completely ignored as they are now. SU actually gets the rare opportunity to host Alabama in Basketball and about 60 fans showed up to pull for our Bulldogs. No publicity but then if that’s what the administration wants I guess they have hit their goal in the bullseye. As for our NFL and MLB alumni I think that is awesome. But, I’d rather see wins vs Millsaps, Maryville and BSC than embarrassments like we see year in and year out on the hardwood and gridiron!

When is the next Iron game?
sudog03

Postby sudog03 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:47 am

SAM1014 wrote:If we went D3 I would stop going to games completely. D3 games don’t matter and never will. We are perfectly fine where we are. We just need coaches who can actually coach

+1
sudog03

Postby SU DOG » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:50 am

Anyone who feels that Samford Athletics have never been as irrelevant and ignored as they are now did not pay attention or else was not around in the 70s and early 80s. The very mention of dropping down to lower levels is completely asinine to me. Granted, we need some wins, but success can come quickly if things fall in line. I was there in Tuscaloosa when Samford BEAT BAMA in basketball. I was at Auburn when Samford BEAT the Tigers in basketball. I saw the Dogs knock the SEC Champs out of the baseball regionals. Recently the whole nation took notice of our football team leading FSU in the 4th quarter.

Do I want to see us on the level with Birmingham Southern, Huntingdon, and Faulkner? That's just plain laughable, or maybe not so laughable to some of us, like myself, who have spent money, time, and effort to further Samford Athletics. And before someone says "has your investment paid off"? I will emphatically answer that YES it has in many ways including seeing the good new facilities, D-1 women's programs, and success of our student athletes after college.

I agree that we need wins, and maybe we need changes in places, but we DO NOT need an attitude of let's just give up.
SU DOG

Postby DawgFan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:05 pm

As for the next Iron game you need to remember the AAF folded not just Birmingham. The Iron themselves did fairly well at the gate considering how quickly the whole poorly run League came together. SU DOG, I admit I was not interested in Samford Athletics until 1984, the year Football thankfully returned. Also my Freshman year there. Like you I have been to many of the games you mentioned and have thoroughly enjoyed seeing the Bulldogs have many successes. It’s just that all the successes seem to be followed up by detrimental games almost immediately. Remember Samford beat bammer on a Thursday night and received accolades for it. Then there was Saturday night vs Jacksonville. Remember how that turned out? No one was as fired up for SU Football as I was during and after the FSU game last year. Remember how the next few games went starting with Mercer the next week? Regarding our ESPN game this year all that was accomplished there was that after Spring Practice, four weeks of Fall camp and three Qtrs of being shut down and ran over our Coaching staff showed all those still watching that they finally wised up and put in the QB that should have started the game. That fiasco followed by snatching defeat from the jaws of victory the next week vs. TTU. Back in 1994 it was beating number 11 1AA UCF one week to lose to Mississippi College for the second year in a row the next week. Seriously, we could go on and on about Samford Athletics not being able to get out of the way of themselves for much of the last 35 years. Yes, many highs but mainly followed by many lows. Just not sure anymore if SU will ever reach a consistent level of the successes envisioned by so many so many years ago.Then there was whatever happened to hoops vs UTC yesterday and you just have to wonder if SU is on the path they should be on. Losing is one thing, giving up 67 points in a half is signs of a team that just rolls over and plays dead whenever they feel like it. If no one cares then things will carry on status quo.
DawgFan

Postby Cujo » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:13 pm

I don’t have the interest left to reply to any of this. I just don’t care. Sort of a stoic level of contentment with things—not caring frees me up to do other things with my time and resources. If Samford’s goal is to balance the budget without regard to the quality of the product on game day, I don’t care either. It’s a win/win.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:51 pm

Dawg Fan, we have mutual agreement on the fact that we are not being successful in our 2 marque sports. I cannot argue that we should be doing far better in both. Football was never on a level playing field before Pat Sullivan was hired, but now I think we are at least competitive in support with other SoCon schools. Certainly basketball has no financial restriction excuses.

While I also think you make some good points about not following up with success, I disagree on some of your other comments. I'll never forget the feeling I had walking out of Coleman Coliseum that rainy night. The congrats from several Bama Fans, and afterwards from friends at church or other places were also nice. I bet not 1% of those folks ever even knew about the Jacksonville Game. Fast forward to this year and we know that Evansville beat the Kentucky Wildcats at Rupp Arena this season. WAIT!! Is that the same Purple Aces Team that recently played the JSU Gamecocks on Monday Dec.16 at Pete Mathews Coliseum? Yep, and the Gamecocks blew them out by 26 points, 85-59. :o How many people outside of those two schools knew about this? These things often happen in sports.

I still have the DVR tape of Karisa Nelson winning the D-1 NCAA National Championship, and actually continue to watch it at times. Highlights at other levels are not in the same universe as those in NCAA D-1. I'll take a moment in the D-1 spotlight over a great year in a lesser level.

Having said this, I'm also not a happy camper. Dawg Fan is right about a team being blown out like basketball was at UTC. Also, IMO, football has underperformed for the last 2 seasons. Samford has never been quick to rectify athletic issues. I do know, however, that the university does not want to be embarrassed. Sure hope the brighter days will come soon.
SU DOG

Postby Cujo » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:57 pm

There are few fans like you, SUD. And they are becoming fewer.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

PreviousNext

Return to The Dog Pound