WBB So Who Is #1 in SoCon Now?

WBB So Who Is #1 in SoCon Now?

Postby SU DOG » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:52 am

SAMFORD BULLDOGS!!! OK, to be completely accurate, we are tied with UNCG at 4-1. Today was a fun game to watch, as the Dogs' defense just stifled the ETSU Bucs. That 68-34 is an eye-popping :shock: score.
SU DOG

Re: WBB So Who Is #1 in SoCon Now?

Postby SU DOG » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:46 pm

Follow-up tidbit: Samford signee point guard Mallory Hampton of Rhea County HS, Dayton TN has just completed a 3 game stretch in which she averaged a whopping 29.5 points/game. :o
SU DOG

Postby Cujo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:06 am

That’s cool, SUD. Love to see a new coach come in and get the most out of her team. What is our overall record now. It appears they are improving every game.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:23 pm

Improving - yes, but WBB is IMO, the hardest sport of any to predict. Some of the SoCon results just don't make any sense at all. What I like about our team recently is their defensive tenacity. The last 2 games our opponents have scored 46 and 34 points :shock: As for our overall record of 9-11, it looks bad, but we played the toughest schedule of any SoCon team. UNCG, with an impressive 15-5 mark, played a FAR weaker schedule. They are admittedly very tough at home, and have a 10-1 record there.

In watching all of the SoCon teams, I believe that when we are playing our best, we are as good as any of them. Yeah, the conference is down somewhat, but that does not lessen the admiration for what Coach Kuhns is doing with her girls. Note that I said WHEN we are playing at our best. No team can be at their peak every night, and I don't predict we go undefeated the rest of the way or even that we finish #1. I do say, however, that we have a chance to actually win it all, and that is something the pollsters never dreamed of in preseason. This week is a long road trip to Western Carolina and then for the BIG showdown vs UNCG in Greensboro. Stay tuned.
SU DOG

Postby bulldogblog » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:57 am

Another victory tonight for the ladies. Didn't get to see the entire game, but the WCU announcers indicated that we led wire-to-wire. We now have beaten the Catamounts 16 straight games, including 6 straight in Culhowee -- at least that's the stat the announcers used.

Big game Saturday with 1st place on the line in Greensboro.
bulldogblog

Postby SU DOG » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:29 am

We won tonight, BUT it was one of our worst games of the season. Play like this Saturday in Greensboro, and we will get beat by 25 points. Still, teams will have some nights like this, when they can't throw it in the ocean. It is significant that the ladies pulled it out, because it was tied in the 4th quarter, and WCU was desperate for the win. Saturday night is for #1 alone in the SoCon.
SU DOG

Return to The Dog Pound