Samford @ UNCG - I Don't Like The Matchup

Samford @ UNCG - I Don't Like The Matchup

Postby SU DOG » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:33 pm

Not wanting to be a "doubting Debbie" but this will be a tough task for our ladies in this battle for the top spot in the SoCon. The Spartans are terrific at their place, and have won 10 straight there in Greensboro, and are looking for overall win #17. They play a smothering man-to-man that leads the SoCon and is 14th in the nation in scoring defense. They are also first in steals in the conference. They have good overall height, are extremely athletic, and score lots of put-back points in the paint. How well Samford can limit second chance points will be critical. Staying out of foul trouble will also be crucial for the Dogs, not only for defense, but UNCG is best in the SoCon in free throw percentage.

As for vulnerability, UNCG is not a great shooting team from outside the arc. They are also sometimes too anxious and fire up contested shots. If the game was being played at the PHC, I would be much more confident. Hope our ladies will surprise me and stand alone at the top of the conference.

GO DOGS!!!!!
SU DOG

Re: Samford @ UNCG - I Don't Like The Matchup

Postby Cujo » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:40 pm

Nobody knows SoCon women’s basketball like SUD. I think I’ll tune in at 3 and watch a bit.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby Smurf » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:34 pm

Ugly sloppy game. UNCG gets after it on the defensive end, but they are way out of sync on the offensive end. SU seems to want this one more though as they seem to be winning the 50-50 balls.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:48 pm

I watched the second quarter. It looks like two teams playing hard and also playing solid defense. Nobody is giving anybody anything easy. 21 to 12 (are you serious, 12 points in a half?!!!!). I’ll tune in for the second half.

P.S. SU Dog was right about this coach.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby Smurf » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:04 pm

Questionable coaching when you give up 12 straight points to start the second half, lose a 11 point lead on the road, and fail to squelch the huge switch in momentum with a timeout.

UNCG didn't play like they wanted it much in the first half. They are playing like they want it now.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby SU DOG » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:09 pm

A run by the home team doesn't necessarily mean questionable coaching. I have seton the bench and witnessed it first hand. Players have to execute.
SU DOG

Postby Smurf » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:17 pm

It's a pet peeve of mine. Many coaches do it these days. I have seen teams explode, take the lead, and never look back. I think coaches in general rely too heavily on the media timeouts these days.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Smurf » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:21 pm

With all that being said, we have weathered the storm though.

Behind the back pass on a four on one break? Geez, no.

Zebras seem to have missed a few walks by the Spartans today.

UNCG radio crew is really good. Maybe Martin should find out how they make that happen.

I just think our gals look tougher and are fighting harder than UNCG is right now. We will win this game.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Smurf » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:23 pm

Double technicals? How? That UNCG girl took a swing out our girl! All our girl did was come up to her and confront her.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:37 pm

I have no criticism of how she’s coached this game or how her players play hard for her. The defense has been tremendous. I’m impressed.

By the way, SUD will take a victory lap for being right, but don’t forget he didn’t have a good feeling about this game.
Cujo

Next

Return to The Dog Pound