Is enough, enough?

Re: Is enough, enough?

Postby SU DOG » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:38 pm

Anybody else notice the attendance at the PHC last night? I guess the chance to win 2 Step Sing tickets didn't help much. The listed attendance was a dismal 378. Is that a near all-time low for a SoCon matchup?
SU DOG

Postby SAM1014 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:12 pm

378 is impressive. Weather gets 50% of the credit and our "team" gets the other 50%

https://static.soconsports.com/custompa ... nfonly.htm
Total Average
Samford 6-3183 530
SAM1014

Postby Cujo » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:19 pm

Samford would do well to say that from here forward, due to concerns about the spread of diseases from China, no fans will be admitted to Samford games. Make up an excuse for nothing but empty seats at game time.

We have become a joke on social media. Sports betters are bragging about picking against Samford and the points and winning 90% of the time. I told 03 to place a bet for me the other night and he apparently thought I was joking. I was dead serious—I saw a chance to pick up some easy money.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SAM1014 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:21 pm

SAM1014

Postby SU DOG » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:30 pm

SAM1014 wrote:305 vs Citadel 1/1/20 is our low

https://samfordsports.com/sports/mens-b ... core/11362

So, can we conclude that the Step Sing tickets promotion brought 73 people in? :lol:
SU DOG

Postby Cujo » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:55 pm

Absolutely pathetic. Not that nobody came, but that the program has fallen this far. And, I didn’t go and I didn’t care to go. I watched some of the first half and . . . I just have to say, it is not attractive basketball. What we try to do, we just never do well.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby Smurf » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:33 pm

Maybe Padgett has learned something during his time here. Maybe he hasn't. He will have other opportunities, but with his high pedigree playing experience and some assistant coaching experience, he could have parlayed a successful tenure here for a nice mid major job. His six years here have all but blown that opportunity for him for the foreseeable future, if not forever. I hope he does well in the future, but his tenure here needs to cease very soon.

What I am most concerned about is how much Newton has learned during his tenure here. The same AD that gave us such monumental hits as S(h)am., the hiring of Curt Bloom, and no radio, has now dropped two straight turds on basketball hires. The hiring of Seltzer, and then more significantly the hiring of Padgett, truly gives one pause in questioning whether Newton gets what Samford is about. When Newton looks out into the empty arena and continually watches us take a whipping game in and game out, I hope he is taking some serious time for introspection as to not just build a winning program, but what it is like to build a winning program at a place as unique and special as Samford. The recruits deserve this, the fans deserve this, and the university as a whole deserves that.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:39 pm

The one thing you can say about basketball is that nobody currently in or involved with the program has a track record of building a winning program. Think about that. We are trying to build something with nobody who has built a successful men’s program before. We’ll find out at the end of the season if this is the blind leading the blind or if Samford is going to make a bold move. My bet is that we will excuse this season as a perfect storm and we will talk about all the potential for next year, just before half of the team transfers.
Cujo

Postby Smurf » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:53 pm

Cujo wrote:The one thing you can say about basketball is that nobody currently in or involved with the program has a track record of building a winning program. Think about that. We are trying to build something with nobody who has built a successful men’s program before. We’ll find out at the end of the season if this is the blind leading the blind or if Samford is going to make a bold move. My bet is that we will excuse this season as a perfect storm and we will talk about all the potential for next year, just before half of the team transfers.

They can't talk about emphasizing basketball, investing heavily in the program, etc. and let Padgett stay on until his contract expires. The two are utterly incompatible. If you keep Padgett then clearly, given how bad the program is right now, you are accepting failure and thus the sport is not truly a point of emphasis.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby big_dog1968 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:56 am

Newton's Speech regarding Padgett: https://youtu.be/cO9aXFs19dM
big_dog1968

Previous

Return to The Dog Pound