Smoke signals from Samford Hall?

Smoke signals from Samford Hall?

Postby Cujo » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:39 pm

Do you think there will be an announcement from Samford about the future of Samford basketball? Silence and acting like nothing happened isn’t what Samford Sports needs right now. Another bottom half of the league finish and one of the worst seasons in Samford history deserves some comment about the future of the program.

Any bets on whether anything is officially said? Any bets on whether anything is done?

I bet we get some excuse about this being a perfect storm of injuries and excuses and we have a great recruiting class coming in and we expect to challenge for a conference championship next year and nothing changes.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Re: Smoke signals from Samford Hall?

Postby Jay » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:54 pm

What would suffice? Just curious. As an alum I truly LOVE Samford and the program.
Go Bulldogs!!!
Jay

Postby Smurf » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:01 pm

Martin Newton retweeted this earlier today. Make of it what you wish.

https://twitter.com/CoachMotto/status/1236284226854674435
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:19 am

Jay wrote:What would suffice? Just curious. As an alum I truly LOVE Samford and the program.

With the following SoCon record over 6 seasons and one mass exodus (and a part of another)—7th, 8th, 7th, 7th, 6th, and 8th—what should happen? As a college coach who loves Samford, Jay, what should the school and the fans expect from a coach and an AD? You tell me.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby sudog03 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:43 am

The longer status quo continues, the further samford gets from a solution. Its apparent to recruits and everyone else that if status quo continues, it's just running out a contract. Recruiting has been difficult and will only get harder unless a change is made.
sudog03

Postby Jay » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:22 am

Cujo, we both know I can’t answer that. I believe in Samford. I will always be a Bulldog.
Go Bulldogs!!!
Jay

Postby Jay » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:24 am

All I can speak on...both my kids. Third in a row fourth at this level, fourth in the last 4 recruiting classes regardless of level, foy I’ve recruited...all from the Bham area. https://blazers.belhaven.edu/news/2020/ ... spots.aspx
Go Bulldogs!!!
Jay

Postby 77SU » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:01 pm

Just to throw this out there - after watching every SoCon MBB team over the last two days, there’s a reason we ended 9th out of 10. Every other team runs up and down the floor, they have a considerable height advantage, none of them “run” plays, it’s all street ball. Final outcome is coaching and conditioning. The G folks sitting near us blamed their loss on Miller, but in the last 10 minutes their shots were falling short because they were gassed.

It will take a major overhaul to get to the point we get a first round bye. Then you have to work on getting to the top four of the league. Saw a piece on OTL the other day about Jim Calhoun rebuilding the program at Division 3, St Joseph. Wonder if we can get a consultation with him?
77SU

Postby AP » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:22 pm

No. No. Never ever Jim Calhoun.
AP

Postby Smurf » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:53 pm

Mike Dunlap is a good case study for this. Like Padgett, he had been at his school, Loyola Marymount, for six years. Like Padgett, Dunlap took his team to one post season tourney appearance (Padgett in the CIT and Dunlap in the CBI). Both coaches took their teams to the 20 win mark just once in their tenure with Padgett winning 20 in 2016 and Dunlap winning 22 in the 2018-2019 season. Padgett's six year winning percentage is .422; Dunlap's is .443. Dunlap won 35% of his conference games. Padgett won just 31% of his. Neither coach was able to lead their team to a finish greater than fifth place in their respective leagues.

Today LMU fired Mike Dunlap. Today Scott Padgett is still the head coach at Samford.
BOE.
Smurf

Next

Return to The Dog Pound