Smoke signals from Samford Hall?

Re: Smoke signals from Samford Hall?

Postby Smurf » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:05 pm

Cujo wrote:If Padgett gets the boot, which assistant currently on staff gets the HC job?

There is probably a good ancestry.com joke in here somewhere.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby SU DOG » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:11 pm

Every school in the SoCon has a higher women than men enrollment - not talking military or UNCG(no football - don't care). Yes, it is easier for Samford and every other school (that I included) to recruit the ladies. The percentage of women/men ratio is slightly higher at SU than elsewhere. For example Mercer has a 64% to 36% while Samford is 66% to 34% women to men. Other schools fall into line after these 2, with Wofford leading at 53% women. But what does this really mean? I have heard this excuse ad nauseum for way too long. It is just that - AN EXCUSE! Bobby Bowden went to a university that just a few years earlier had been an all-girls school. He could easily have said that it was hard to recruit men there. But again, he was the right man for the job. He used no excuse crutch and he succeeded there just as he did at Samford.
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:54 pm

Mercer and especially Wofford also have much more relaxed on campus living codes of conduct. I will say again I guess, I'm not using it as an excuse, but there are factors that make it more difficult.. Mercer is our most comparable peer as it relates to our on campus requirements. They just completed their 6th season of Socon play, they have finished in the top 3 once in basketball and have yet to have an above .500 league record in football. And goodness knows it's not for a lack of resources at Mercer.
sudog03

Postby Jay » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:07 pm

SUDog, I don’t see it as an excuse. I see it as a fact. It IS easier to recruit women at Samford than it is men. Hence the ratio disparity of the university as a whole. Heck, back when I was there in residence life, we actively talked about how to help retain more of the men bc we didn’t want to lose the ones we had. Never had that discussion about the girls. But that doesn’t mean the men’s programs can’t be successful. Just look at baseball. I’ve been to a lot of different places now. I’ve seen that all schools have challenges. Finding the right fit for where you are and who you are is vital. At Samford, it’s even more vital. It’ll be even more vital now that the new transfer recommendations are being looked at (did they pass? I may have missed it with the corona world news that’s out there now). But identifying regular challenges/opportunities at your school isn’t an excuse (unless one makes it one), it’s just smart to do as the runner of an organization. I don’t know of too many guys complaining about a 2:1 girl:guy ratio though.
Go Bulldogs!!!
Jay

Postby SU DOG » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:34 pm

Jay, your present school has a higher percentage of women/men than Samford. I see it is a whopping 69% to 31% LOL, but I bet I never see you using this as an excuse.
Have we ever beaten Mercer in a SoCon Basketball game? Seriously I may have missed one, but if I looked right, the answer is never. Now, they are a threat to dominate us in football, if the trend continues. You are right about Mercer 03 - they are focused to be good in all their sports.
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:36 pm

Dude everybody in the league is beating us basketball. I was speaking towards a top 3 expectation. Which frankly, I don't necessarily disagree with, but football and MBB have some difficult hurdles to overcome, IMO.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:39 pm

I used to think 03 was a winner. You think you know a guy and then you realize he doesn't have any moxy in him.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby Jay » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:48 pm

Again, never heard a guy complain about a 2:1 ratio or in my current case a nearly 70% female campus. I also use the opportunity/challenge that this is a college town with 7 four year colleges within 15 minutes of each other.
Go Bulldogs!!!
Jay

Postby sudog03 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:19 pm

Cujo wrote:I used to think 03 was a winner. You think you know a guy and then you realize he doesn't have any moxy in him.

LOL. I love to win. I also understand it's not a easy as just saying hiring a coach who can recruit and runs a disciplined system will do well at Samford. There are real challenges that exist at Samford, IMO. Samford has had 11 head coaches in MBB since 1970. 3 have left with a record above .500.

I think it's fairly obvious to anyone that is paying attention that the current situation has run it's course. But, I don't envy the person or persons responible for finding a replacement when that time comes. The list of people who cannot win at Samford in MBB/football is a heck of a lot longer than the list of people that can.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:46 pm

sudog03 wrote:I also understand it's not a easy as just saying hiring a coach who can recruit and runs a disciplined system will do well at Samford.

Winners win, 03. Winners pick winners. Its their job. A wise AD who isn't particularly good at a particular aspect of his job, but is good at other stuff, hires someone good at what he isn't good at. You don't have to be great at everything, you just have to know your strengths and weaknesses and then I.D. talent, even if that talent is a talent to fill a gap in your talent. Until you know yourself, grasshopper, you cannot know greatness.

Just win, baby!
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Previous

Return to The Dog Pound