Smoke signals from Samford Hall?

Re: Smoke signals from Samford Hall?

Postby Cujo » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:21 pm

Has anyone else heard that Mike Morris identified and recommended his successor? If that is true, that was not only a solid, it was brilliant. I always liked that guy. He was a hell of a coach and seemed to be an even better person. Brady brought some fire power with him when he came to Samford. ahhhhh, the good ole days.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby AP » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:38 pm

Cujo wrote:
Jay wrote:What would suffice? Just curious. As an alum I truly LOVE Samford and the program.

With the following SoCon record over 6 seasons and one mass exodus (and a part of another)—7th, 8th, 7th, 7th, 6th, and 8th—what should happen? As a college coach who loves Samford, Jay, what should the school and the fans expect from a coach and an AD? You tell me.
Hey remember like 8 years ago when we had the "what should the school and the fans expect" discussion? http://samfordbulldogs.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1246&p=11334#p11334 Feels quaint now.
AP

Postby smalltownbulldog » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:18 pm

Jay wrote:All I can speak on...both my kids. Third in a row fourth at this level, fourth in the last 4 recruiting classes regardless of level, foy I’ve recruited...all from the Bham area. https://blazers.belhaven.edu/news/2020/ ... spots.aspx

Not to hijack the thread, but I loved the Couch kid when he was at Vestavia, he will be a huge piece for y’all. Glad you got him.
smalltownbulldog

Postby Jay » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:25 pm

So are we! Recruited him for two years, but we got him. He’s a stud for us. He’s got as much dog and moxie on the court as any of the best players I’ve coached. Barring any injuries, he should pass 1,000 points in his first two years.
Go Bulldogs!!!
Jay

Postby Smurf » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:51 am

With each passing day in which no announcement is made, the odds of Padgett being retained slowly increase. There shouldn't be a period of debate after the season as to whether Padgett's performance warrants a dismissal. That is a foregone conclusion. We weren't mediocre. There is no gray area. That opinion should have been cemented some time ago and the wheels should have been in motion well before our season ended against VMI to can Padgett. The ducks should have been all in a row by now. If Padgett isn't fired in the next two weeks, I think the odds of him returning next season would then be very very high.

Of course I doubt there will be any communication in the midst of all of this very sound uncertainty if Padgett is retained. At some point we will all just realize that because there has been no formal announcement of Padgett's dismissal, we should just assume then that he will stay. The media won't pry and I doubt our AD will make any sort of proclamation on social media or elsewhere that Padgett is returning for his seventh season. SU will just remain silent and sort of sweep it under the rug, leaving the rest of us to conclude, minus any information, that Padgett will return.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby smalltownbulldog » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:32 pm

I’m starting to feel like SU MBB is like Alabama MBB- no one can win there. Look at Anthony Grant- great at VCU, “bad” at Bama, great at Dayton. Avery Johnson- recent NBA coach of the year and his only tournament was when he paid a lottery pick $10k or whatever it was.
And a question, because I haven’t been paying as much attention as I have in years past (and SU has continued to slide into a worse and worse job)- if we wanted to make a change, who could we get? In recent years I would have thought someone like Lennie Acuff would be as close to a sure thing home run as we could get, but is there someone like that out there now, or would we just be pulling the arm on the coaching slot machine?
smalltownbulldog

Postby whoknows » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:55 pm

Team, we should flirt with 20 wins...... not 10.

We beat the military schools and that's it. We should be able to get in the tournament once a decade. We have amazing facilities. Let's not live in a world where we complain about why we aren't perfect.

I am worried about being decent.
whoknows

Postby sudog03 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:57 pm

smalltownbulldog wrote:I’m starting to feel like SU MBB is like Alabama MBB- no one can win there. Look at Anthony Grant- great at VCU, “bad” at Bama, great at Dayton. Avery Johnson- recent NBA coach of the year and his only tournament was when he paid a lottery pick $10k or whatever it was.
And a question, because I haven’t been paying as much attention as I have in years past (and SU has continued to slide into a worse and worse job)- if we wanted to make a change, who could we get? In recent years I would have thought someone like Lennie Acuff would be as close to a sure thing home run as we could get, but is there someone like that out there now, or would we just be pulling the arm on the coaching slot machine?

I agree in part. I think SU is a difficult place to win in male sports such as football, basketball, and somewhat baseball. SU has the tightest on-campus living requirements outside of the militaries in our league. It matters in the recruitment and retainment of males, both athletically and just academically. I'm not here to advocate wholesale changes, just expressing an opinion. Baseball is somewhat mitigated on this issue because their scholarships don't include on-campus housing. Sports as such football and basketball are made up of a higher percentage of players that families can't afford anything more than their full scholarship allows and so most of their players spend all 4 years living on campus. At the same time, I don't believe SU MBB is a job where no one can win, but it's not easy. If it were, one of the 3 basketball coaches and 2 AD's we've had over the last 15 years would have done so. People have chided football for pointing out their winning season streak prior to this season. Look at the history of SU Football, the performance of MBB, and the challenges faced and the accomplishment is put in a different light for me.

There are plenty of good ballcoaches out there who would be interested, IMO, if a change is made. Lot more good ballcoaches than their are D1 opportunities, regardless of the challenges.
sudog03

Postby Smurf » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:18 pm

The more coaches we (erroneously) hire and the more we fire, the more difficult it is going to be to hire a quality coach though. Candidates will see that we didn't win with Tillette (some of those years can be excluded of course but he was fired for his poor performance later in his SU career), didn't win with Seltzer, and didn't win with Padgett when he was here for six years. I believe we may experience difficulty in luring a quality candidate pool to a more inherently challenging kinda place like SU when the three previous coaches (assuming Padgett were to be let go) were fired, the last two never finished in the top five in their conference, and the last one just lost 23 games in year six. The longer we accept crapola and the more bad hires we undertake, the more challenging it is going to be to find a quality coach. The real worry for me is that if Newton couldn't hire a quality coach after the Tillette years in which we were struggling, but not utterly pathetic, how can we expect him to hire a good coach when the program is at its lowest point in 30 years? Sure, we could theoretically throw a bunch of money at this guy, but the administration surely isn't going to want to go that route given how much money we are paying and have paid guys not to coach. Unless a private donor is willing to shell out a butt load of dead presidents, the next hire will be a very inexpensive hire. That too, of course, will diminish the candidate pool even further. Meanwhile, while we are tanking with the VMIs and Citadels of the league, the conference as a whole has really strengthened. It will be a lot tougher for us to reach the top four or five spot in the league now than it has ever been.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby sudog03 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:27 pm

Mike Young was one of the lowest paid coaches in the league when he left Wofford.
sudog03

PreviousNext

Return to The Dog Pound