Smoke signals from Samford Hall?

Re: Smoke signals from Samford Hall?

Postby Smurf » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:45 pm

And four of the previous five years before he took over, Wofford finished fifth or better in the league. They were light years ahead of where we are now. We haven't finished in the top five in the league since James Naismith was a teenager.

There are thousands and thousands of coaches in the country and only 347 Division I jobs. We'll find someone who is eager enough to take the job. Seltzer was eager. Padgett was eager. Finding one who is both eager and capable will be the real challenge.

Still, Wofford should be ashamed of themselves though for not paying Young more.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby AP » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:46 pm

Samford basketball has been worse than it is right now.
Samford basketball has been really good before, and can be again.
Samford basketball has structural issues that require a specific model for success.
Samford basketball has all of the necessary "stuff" in place already to win regularly and be in the top 1/3 of the SoCon.

All of these things are true at the same time. You've just got to get the right people with the right values to start climbing up from where we sit.
AP

Postby Smurf » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:08 pm

AP wrote:Samford basketball has been worse than it is right now.
Samford basketball has been really good before, and can be again.
Samford basketball has structural issues that require a specific model for success.
Samford basketball has all of the necessary "stuff" in place already to win regularly and be in the top 1/3 of the SoCon.

All of these things are true at the same time. You've just got to get the right people with the right values to start climbing up from where we sit.

And the right people in the right positions to hire the right people with the right values...
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:43 pm

Samford has made excuses for bad hires, poor recruiting, poor coaching, poor administration and generally not really caring as an institution about athletics. I see too many schools that have high standards for academics and college conduct that do plenty good while we are worried about balancing the budget and making sure the Leeds jump rope team shows up so we can have a half way decent crowd in the first half of a basketball game. Lord knows, the students aren't interested in watching the product we are putting on the court. A mindset like "we can't win at Samford" is why we can't win at Samford. And heaven forbid that you have to live on campus! Oh the horror!

Consider all ex-Samford coaches and you will see a direct correlation between people who won at Samford who win at other places and coaches who didn't win at Samford who don't win at other places. Winners win. Losers make excuses. I can hardly stomach the mediocrity. At least our baseball coach is a winner. He's the honey badger of Samford athletics. He doesn't care about your excuses, he just wins. I bet the baseball team is interested to find out that they have all these advantages (baseball playing Hawaii this year?) and they are all rich too!
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:47 pm

Just my opinion, and there are other views, BUT I think that any coach at Samford who can't finish in the top 3 of the SoCon is not doing the job that should be done. This is true for the Men's teams just as it is for the Women's. You can take about any SoCon school and point out excuses, or sometimes even legit reasons for it being harder, but not impossible to win. Just some examples: WCU - somewhat isolated location and money restrictions from the state of N.C.
Military Schools - obvious restrictions. Wofford - academics, small enrollment, college not university status. Furman - next door to Clemson, and high academics.
There are others, but the point is that a good coach will turn lemons into lemonade. Sorry, but I think that there is NO perfect situation. What Terry Bowden did here is an example of overcoming any Samford obstacle and winning big. What followed him are several examples of the opposite.

Get the right fit, and Samford CAN and WILL win.
SU DOG

Postby Cujo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:52 pm

SU DOG wrote:Just my opinion, and there are other views, BUT I think that any coach at Samford who can't finish in the top 3 of the SoCon is not doing the job that should be done. This is true for the Men's teams just as it is for the Women's. You can take about any SoCon school and point out excuses, or sometimes even legit reasons for it being harder, but not impossible to win. Just some examples: WCU - somewhat isolated location and money restrictions from the state of N.C.
Military Schools - obvious restrictions. Wofford - academics, small enrollment, college not university status. Furman - next door to Clemson, and high academics.
There are others, but the point is that a good coach will turn lemons into lemonade. Sorry, but I think that there is NO perfect situation. What Terry Bowden did here is an example of overcoming any Samford obstacle and winning big. What followed him are several examples of the opposite.

Get the right fit, and Samford CAN and WILL win.

Hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby sudog03 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:19 pm

I didn't say it was impossible, but I believe it makes it more difficult. And it is way easier to recruit women to Samford than its men, just ask someone in admissions that is responsible for recruiting scholarship academic students competitively. I will die on that hill, lol. Yes, if we get the right fit, Samford will win. My point is, getting the right fit at Samford is harder than it sounds. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to compete in the top 3-4 of the league, but it's not easy either.

And to AP's point, it takes the right values/model to win. Frankly, we are so far off from what is required there in MBB that IF we made a change and the league stayed status quo competitiveness wise, I think it would be year 3 before you could see a significant increase in Ws. It would help if Forbes and Miller joined Mike Young in getting bigger jobs and those schools took a step back like Wofford did this season and the league backed up to us.
sudog03

Postby Smurf » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:34 pm

Getting the right fit at Samford is a lot easier if you understand the culture and winning is indeed easier at SU if you have the right culture in place. Newton has hired two coaches who were not good cultural fits at SU. This might be mildly excusable for someone who came into SU fresh off the streets of a city far far away, but Newton was a Samford graduate who played basketball here, for crying out loud. Is he really that detached from what Samford is all about that he would go out on his first big hire and hire some schmuck like Bennie Seltzer and then instead of blowing up that staff to smithereens, turnaround and hire Seltzer's assistant?

I cannot for the life of me understand this.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:40 pm

If Padgett gets the boot, which assistant currently on staff gets the HC job?
Cujo

Postby SAM1014 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:46 pm

Martin takes the job and becomes a dual AD/Head Coach
SAM1014

PreviousNext

Return to The Dog Pound