SoCon MBB

SoCon MBB

Postby Cujo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:41 am

The championship game isn’t pretty. ETSU is full of big athletic bodies, but I’m not impressed with their basketball skill. A coach who could recruit and run a disciplined system would have great success in the SoCon. I’m just not impressed with the quality of basketball in the conference.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Re: SoCon MBB

Postby sudog03 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:33 am

Steve Forbes at ETSU does a very good job. You don't go 79-23 the last 3 seasons just out athleting everyone. Won at JUCO level as well. But, yes a good coach who can recruit ought to be successful in the Socon, or I think any league, lol. Great analysis.
sudog03

Postby 77SU » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:40 am

What we saw up close and personal, all of the SoCon teams just run and gun; street ball; and very few designed plays.

Also, must be a six-seed or higher. Wofford was showing tiredness early, but with 13 minutes left in the game, they were completely gassed. ETSU even seemed winded at several points during the game, but they used their athleticism to their advantage.

As we were waiting for the doors to open, we were discussing our year and the lady said, “There’s always next year.” I told her it’s going to be several more years.
77SU

Postby sudog03 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:54 am

Part of that is these teams are playing each other for the 3rd time in the last 3 months. They know each others sets very well by now.
sudog03

Postby AP » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:48 pm

sudog03 wrote:Part of that is these teams are playing each other for the 3rd time in the last 3 months. They know each others sets very well by now.
This.

Also, just because the ball being played isn't something that you find aesthetically pleasing doesn't mean it's "bad basketball."
AP

Postby Cujo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:22 pm

AP wrote:Also, just because the ball being played isn't something that you find aesthetically pleasing doesn't mean it's "bad basketball."

Doesn't mean it isn't, either. So what is your point?
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby AP » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:58 pm

Cujo wrote:
AP wrote:Also, just because the ball being played isn't something that you find aesthetically pleasing doesn't mean it's "bad basketball."

Doesn't mean it isn't, either. So what is your point?
SMH. I finally have enough breathing room to check the board, and this is how you treat me!
AP

Postby paladinfan » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:02 pm

sudog03 wrote:Part of that is these teams are playing each other for the 3rd time in the last 3 months. They know each others sets very well by now.

The SoCon is deeper in basketball than it's been in decades. I do not think that is even arguable. There's not a team as good as Davidson was a decade ago, but the league is much better overall.
paladinfan

Postby SU DOG » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:04 pm

The SoCon was VERY strong this year. When one team, ETSU, goes into Baton Rogue and beats LSU by 9 points, Furman takes Auburn into OT at Auburn, losing by 3, and UNCG beats Georgetown and plays NC State to 3 points, you have some pretty compelling evidence that this is a strong bunch. I think that ETSU had the possibility to upset some higher ranked teams in the Dance.
SU DOG

Return to The Dog Pound