UTC 2,737
Mercer 2,735
Furman 2,449
WCU 2,113
Wofford 1,829
VMI 1,482
Citadel 1,001
Samford 885

Finished 8th, but grabbed the top spot in lowest attendance. Leeds jump rope kept us above 500!!! Less than a 1/4 of ETSU and less than half of Wofford.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Re: statistics

Postby DawgFan » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:44 am

Well, team performance certainly has something to do with it but SU is at an all time low in my opinion in marketing sports. When fans have to look to Twitter to find coaching hires that took place weeks ago you see the Athletic Dept. shares information the way the Chinese Govt. communicates about the Coronavirus. As Elmer Fudd would say: “ there’s something very screwy going on around here”!
DawgFan

Postby SU DOG » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:45 pm

Just some of my thoughts related to this disturbing trend of less SU support:

It not only is true with BB, but also for Samford football. I have repeatedly complained about how our students are treated. They basically have one section only, after the band sits, and if you have noticed, they stand 4-5 deep at the top of the stadium behind that section. Normally, the first couple of home games is when I notice this. I have begged for this issue to be addressed, and honestly I don't know if new stadium plans will provide relief or not. The administration just looks at the empty bleachers across the field, and one official actually told me "plenty of room for them over there". Hey, our students don't want to be on the sunny side. They want to be together on the home side. We averaged just over 4k last year. Now, a pitiful on field performance didn't help, but whatever the circumstance, just another embarrassment when compared to our SoCon peers.

Jan Term and Step-Sing have always been a problem for basketball. Like him or not, John Brady did get the students to games. He worked very hard at doing so. He would visit fraternity and sorority groups and work to get them to come. Understandably, students are not going to support this current MBB product, but hopefully things will soon change on the court. Is this the last year for Jan Term? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I saw where the school was going to a different schedule on this :?: I don't believe that some type of Convo credit would hurt either, but we may never see that happen.
Leeds jump ropers will help with a few parents LOL, but again, it's the students that we need to be concerned with. We now have an amazing facility with the PHC, but when you have 500( inflated) folks for home SoCon games, then something is badly off kilter.
SU DOG

Postby SAM1014 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:32 pm

I think that 855 number includes our "home" game against Alabama. If you take that game out we averaged 556
SAM1014

Postby Cujo » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:45 pm

All for Samford! (I think we need to define who "all" is, assuming it is in reference to the volume of people in Samford's corner and not a total commitment. It looks like a pretty small control group. If it is about total commitment, . . . . we are screwed)
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby AP » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:44 pm

The 2021-22 calendar draft that I saw does away with JanTerm and adds a May term.

You won't get convo credit for going to ballgames. Ever.

This is an engagement issue at many schools all the way up to the SEC level. For SU specifically, you've maybe got 2400 students who live on campus? Let's say you blew the top off and got 1/3 of them to come to every game, that's still just 800 people in the arena. The department has got to convince people in the BHM area to spend their time driving on campus and coming to games. There's just a fair amount of competition for that entertainment dollar. Being awful and not entertaining and not easy to root for is a real problem when it comes to getting fans to go to games.

The Leeds Jump Rope Team is absolutely one of my favorite halftime shows. FACT. Do not even pretend to disparage them. Put some respeck on that name.
AP

Postby Smurf » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:56 pm

The problem with attendance is not the students. The problem with attendance is the poor support by SU alumni and to a lesser degree the community at large. From what I have seen in person and via streaming broadcasts, I was generally pleased with the support of the students at football games. Winning and I mean really winning (NCAA tournaments, posting 10 win seasons in football, etc.) will of course cure some of this.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:37 pm

AP wrote:The Leeds Jump Rope Team is absolutely one of my favorite halftime shows. FACT. Do not even pretend to disparage them. Put some respeck on that name.

Leeds lost their coach and the new coach just doesn't have them coached up like they should be. Really disappointing season for them. Too many missed jumps and players out of position. If they don't let her go, I'm afraid the program is in big trouble. Newton can't put up with that being invited back.

P.S. This is a joke, just in case someone doesn't appreciate my ironic sense of humor.
Cujo

Postby bulldogblog » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:02 pm

I heard talking heads on both JOX and ESPN XM this morning talking about the downward trend of college football attendance for the third or fourth season in a row. Consensus (with which I would agree) is that the plethora of games on TV each weekend is hurting attendance for everybody. Why pay big bucks (depending, of course, on your team) to sit in a stadium for 3 or 4 hours, spending extra on parking and concessions, to see one game, when you can sit at home with your own concessions and watch 3 or 4 games over that 4 hours. Fan loyalty is down the tubes, according to the "experts." Granted, the figures being cited were all D-1, with no distinction between Power 5 and Group of 5 nor FBS and FCS, so it's hard to say how the conversation affects schools at Samford's level, But, the JOX guys were especially harsh about Alabama and the quality of their home games.

I think the same thing may be hitting college basketball. My alma mater has been ranked in the top 5 most of the season and they still couldn't always have sellouts for home games this year. I've watched more college basketball on TV than most previous seasons, and I don't think they were the only ones facing this problem. I even saw empty seats at Auburn games earlier in the year when they were among the top-ranked teams.

Just putting this out there for whatever it is worth.
bulldogblog

Postby Jay » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:07 pm

Bulldogblog, your team knows all about how good D3 kids can be. lol
Go Bulldogs!!!
Jay

Return to The Dog Pound