Sad, Sad News

Sad, Sad News

Postby SU DOG » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:50 pm

According to a Facebook post, J T Haywood has passed away. Younger folks on here will not know him, but for me, I probably wouldn't have made it out of Samford without him. J T was a wonderful Physical Education instructor who really cared for his students. He was also a Samford Baseball Coach who fielded a team with hardly any funding or resources. I remember one time when J T worked his rear off and raised $15,000 for his program to supplement his BB budget. He was excited about being able to buy equipment and stuff for his squad. A few days later, he was asking about his budget money, and this is what the SU administration told him "Oh you've got your money already". :evil: In spite of raw deals like this, J T continued to coach and field a fairly competitive baseball team.

He was just a wonderful person and friend. I knew he had been in failing health after suffering from a stroke, but you still are never prepared to receive the last word. I loved this man, and this news hits me very hard.
SU DOG

Re: Sad, Sad News

Postby 77SU » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:59 pm

Of course, never get in a badminton game with him.

So sorry to hear.
77SU

Postby Cujo » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:12 pm

He was a wizard on the badminton court. I won the intramural championship and was ready to turn pro . . . , and then I played JT. He basically stood in the center of the court and made me run like a rabbit all over the court. I think I actually won a few points which by the time we finished, I counted as a victory. There was no doubt about who had skill and who, in a relative sense, didn't. He was always in a good mood. He was a good guy. A life well lived.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby Smurf » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:17 pm

Another student and I played him in badminton, two against one. He beat us 15-2.

Really sad to hear of his passing.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Jiggs » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:50 am

My Samford days were sandwiched in between the two eras of Haywood-led baseball. But he was still Coach Haywood, teaching PE classes and running intramural sports. I cannot imagine my years at Samford without him. He knew how to make things fun but also knew how to clamp down on things when needed. Coach Haywood commanded respect. He pretty much by himself resurrected Samford baseball. I am grateful to have known him. He will be missed.
Jiggs

Return to The Dog Pound