Is MBB playing with us?

Re: Is MBB playing with us?

Postby Cujo » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:12 am

Interesting quote from an article already out about the unannounced hire that sounds more like propaganda than journalism:

“Samford has hired a proven winner in Bucky. How his winning ways will transfer to the college ranks remains to be seen. One thing is for sure. This a splashy hire here by Samford when it is officially announced.

What's the saying? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting the same results. Letting go of Padgett changes the narrative. Even after multiple contract extensions, this shows that Samford absolutely wants the best for their basketball program.”

Did Samford spend some money on a PR firm? This is bizarre.

One thing I do like that I’ve read, the Gambler apparently relates to his players and can motivate them (at least high schoolers). My first take on SP was he had no clue about the psychological side of college athletics and he, for all of his talking, was a terrible communicator and motivator. He never changed. He just kept running his mouth and coaching stuff during the game that should have been reserved for practice. Micro managing a players every move and then letting your point guard act like a spoiled brat just wasn’t going to be a recipe for success. The Big question is whether our freshman with the same last name moves on too. Well, that’s not really a big question as much as an observation (along with whether one assistant in particular returns).

Covid19 in 2020 vs Samford basketball19 in 2020. Which was the bigger debacle? Covid19 can kill you, but on the bright side Samford basketball only made you wish you were dead. Covid19 introduced social distancing, but only after Samford basketball did it first. Question, if Covid19 quarantining had been enacted during the season, would Samford home attendance have qualified for the ban. Anyone else want to play?
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby Jay » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:01 am

Bucky.
Go Bulldogs!!!
Jay

Postby samDOT19 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:39 pm

Cujo wrote:Interesting quote from an article already out about the unannounced hire that sounds more like propaganda than journalism:

“Samford has hired a proven winner in Bucky. How his winning ways will transfer to the college ranks remains to be seen. One thing is for sure. This a splashy hire here by Samford when it is officially announced.

What's the saying? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting the same results. Letting go of Padgett changes the narrative. Even after multiple contract extensions, this shows that Samford absolutely wants the best for their basketball program.”

Did Samford spend some money on a PR firm? This is bizarre.

One thing I do like that I’ve read, the Gambler apparently relates to his players and can motivate them (at least high schoolers). My first take on SP was he had no clue about the psychological side of college athletics and he, for all of his talking, was a terrible communicator and motivator. He never changed. He just kept running his mouth and coaching stuff during the game that should have been reserved for practice. Micro managing a players every move and then letting your point guard act like a spoiled brat just wasn’t going to be a recipe for success. The Big question is whether our freshman with the same last name moves on too. Well, that’s not really a big question as much as an observation (along with whether one assistant in particular returns).

Covid19 in 2020 vs Samford basketball19 in 2020. Which was the bigger debacle? Covid19 can kill you, but on the bright side Samford basketball only made you wish you were dead. Covid19 introduced social distancing, but only after Samford basketball did it first. Question, if Covid19 quarantining had been enacted during the season, would Samford home attendance have qualified for the ban. Anyone else want to play?

The article you read was written by a Sports Marketing student at Samford named Grant Gardner on his own website. His brother is Blake, the play-by-play guy for Samford broadcasts (who I think does a really solid job). I think that is why it reads like propaganda.

I agree with you that it is pretty evident that Bucky is a great motivator. Bucky-coached teams are bought in to his system, tough, and smart. Every trip down the floor on offense has a purpose, and they did not settle for a bad look. I know Bucky's full-court press/platoon system might not translate to the college game, but his ability to take a bunch of trust funders and turn them into a defensive machine will. Bucky has some way to get through to his players. I have always heard that his practices are brutal. Throwing the ball around and having guys diving on the floor. Layup lines where he checks them with pads like Tom Izzo. Kids leaving with bloody noses. Is toughness the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Mountain Brook, AL? Uhh no. Is it the first thing that comes to mind for Mountain Brook Basketball? For me, yes. It may take Bucky time to win, but one thing that will happen on day one under Bucky is the Men's Basketball team will no longer be pampered, and that's a start.

Just sit back and enjoy -- we're in good hands.
samDOT19

Postby 77SU » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:40 pm

https://www.al.com/sports/2020/04/bucky ... mford.html

This is a huge win for Samford, which is a local brand that has always had the potential to be something greater. They just needed to make a bold move.

Samford athletics director Martin Newton deserves credit for making this happen. He’s taking a chance with McMillan, but what does Samford have to lose except more basketball games.

So will he also get the credit if it doesn’t work?
77SU

Postby Cujo » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:38 pm

Old BSC coach on staff is a good idea. Always liked Jake Headrick before he escaped the Padgett regime. He knows what kind of student is required to make it at Samford and he seemed like a good recruiter. Rounding out to be a situation where we might hire a younger coach and end up with a more mature staff than what we previously had. There is risk all over this hire—AD is gambling on hiring a young guy who is a gambler (The Gambler is a greAt nickname for a head coach) Sort of a roll of the dice, so to speak.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:57 pm

Agree with cujo about Jake. He had a good record at Chipola, and he is from Hamilton AL. His wife Tommye is from nearby Trussville.
SU DOG

Postby AP » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:43 pm

I wish the program and the university nothing but the best. If y'all need me in the future, shoot me an email.
AP

Postby Cujo » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:27 am

AP? You never write, you never call, now you aren’t going to post?
Cujo

Postby Smurf » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:50 pm

BOE.
Smurf

Postby bulldogblog » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:18 pm

bulldogblog

PreviousNext

Return to The Dog Pound