Is MBB playing with us?

Re: Is MBB playing with us?

Postby Smurf » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:34 pm

I don't like the hire. We are rolling the dice on someone who is young and has no experience in being a college basketball coach. Recruiting is different at the Division I level and there are some solid coaches with experience in this league. We could have hired someone with college experience, but for whatever reason we didn't.

With that being said, I think it would be unfair to Samford and unfair to Bucky McMillan not to give this process a fair chance. My deep opinion that Newton is inept as an AD should not be held against McMillan. It isn't fair to him. Likewise, my displeasure with Seltzer and Padgett should also not be allowed to affect giving McMillan a fair shake. He either needs to succeed or fail on his own merit. I think any of us embarking into a new situation would want that same opportunity and in the sake of fairness, I want to give him that chance. Any opinions about his success or failures should be based on his own performance. I hope he wins and does so in a positive culture that is representative of the Samford experience. Starting today he has a clean slate. Let's hope it goes well. The faithful here deserve that.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby sudog03 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:13 pm

Oh, no doubt. Hope it works.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:45 pm

I hope it works out. I wish him all the best.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby dolphcons » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:27 am

This old man remembers a team in the sixties hiring a high school coach. The coach was Don Haskins and the team was Texas Western. That one worked out OK.
dolphcons

Postby DawgFan » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:52 am

I believe this is a great hire! Excited to see what he and his staff can accomplish at SU. I do not think we will be giving up 100 points on a regular basis. Go Bulldogs!!
DawgFan

Postby Smurf » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:58 pm

BOE.
Smurf

Postby 77SU » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:41 pm

It seems everyone on social media is going so overboard gushing on this hire, that you can’t help but think about the statement, “If it’s too good to be true, it probably is.”

Everything, verbal and written, seems to have been orchestrated, from the “leak” last Friday to all of the statements, interviews, and fawning over the new HC.

I have already heard from folks about the ticket price increases from folks when not a single ball has been bounced or a recruit signed. Hope our AD has signed contracts with all those Brookies that claim they will drive down Lakeshore to the poor side of the mountain to buy all those season tickets to fill the Pete. Hopefully he will get their money one way or another.
77SU

Postby Cujo » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:01 pm

I don’t fault them for the media campaign and all the social media influence tactics, but a part of me does resent the blatant manipulation on some level. Maybe the masses are that gullible, or maybe I’m just that cynical. I do like the idea of trying to get tied in to the local high school basketball scene and become Birmingham’s team, but the proof will come in deed not words. The doing has always been the hard part for Samford. Follow through is where Samford needs to devote its efforts. Samford has always focused on the wrapping paper, not what was in the box. Pardon me if I take a wait and see. This athletic department has been full of effort on the theory and short on realizing the dream.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby sudog03 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:49 pm

77SU wrote:I have already heard from folks about the ticket price increases from folks when not a single ball has been bounced or a recruit signed. Hope our AD has signed contracts with all those Brookies that claim they will drive down Lakeshore to the poor side of the mountain to buy all those season tickets to fill the Pete. Hopefully he will get their money one way or another.

You know, there is a different approach that I think could accomplish everything desired. One, and most importantly, the program desperately needs attendance/fan base increased. (not counting parents coming to watch their kids halftime performance) I would recommend an actual reduction in ticket prices and market it around the new coach. Try to really increase your base. Also, hearing the coach talk, and I would agree, it sounds like he knows what he's walking into (long term vision, strength of league, etc.). I don't think anyone is expecting to see a miraculous improvement in wins next season. This approach also prevents your small, but loyal, existing fan base from feeling taken advantage of.

Two, lets say you have a new segment of fans that want to invest in the success of the program and obviously you want to increase revenue. Go to those individuals, sell them the season ticket, and present them with the additional ways they can support the program. (Bulldog club, sport gift, etc).

It's April, and things can certainly change before the season gets here. Also, I certainly appreciate the loss in revenue that I'm sure is being felt across athletic departments across the country, but I just feel like there are better approaches to increasing revenue and ways to address a significant price increase (some tickets went up at least 35%) a month after another disappointing season ended. I think just an explanation would help some.

And I say again, I'm sure people throughout MB are talking about coming and supporting. That's great. Hope they do. I'm sure I'm not alone here in trying to help get people more engaged in attending Samford games. Alums, former players, etc. What I have found, is most everyone is open to the idea, expresses interest, may even come to a game or two. But, when it comes time to dedicating time to come a seasons worth of games and the several hundreds (at least) it takes to do so, well, that's where it ends.
sudog03

Postby DC_INT'L » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:04 pm

sudog03 wrote: I think just an explanation would help some.

That presupposes an ethos of actual communication, let alone some semblance of transparency from our athletic department as opposed to only communicating via marketing collateral.
DC_INT'L

PreviousNext

Return to The Dog Pound