Basketball roster 20/21

Re: Basketball roster 20/21

Postby Smurf » Thu May 07, 2020 11:45 am

samDOT19 wrote:I don't think there are many names out there that Samford could have reasonably gone after who would have been better for the job. Again.. it's Samford.

Well, there is Derrick Jones. He would have been a great fit I think. He also has years of experience as an assistant at a handful of schools. Newton locked in on Bucky early I believe and I don't know that he did his due diligence outside of that.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Smurf » Thu May 07, 2020 2:59 pm

FYI, Derrick Jones' first hire would have been Trey Montgomery, who is now an assistant at Penn.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby sudog03 » Fri May 08, 2020 2:19 pm

There is no problem in promotion. But, it can really affect the mindset within your program when you constantly promote things that have little to no substance. For example, in 2017 we finished 6th in the league with a 9-9 record. But we paid to play in a meaningless postseason tournament, won a game, got to 20 wins and then that summer I'm reading articles where players are talking about what seed in the NCAA tournament we are gonna get the next season. We went 10-22. My point is, it's OK to peddle bull malarkey, heck everyone does it. When you start believing your own bull malarkey, that's when it becomes a problem.

Also, to think we hired Bucky because no one else was interested, is wildly incorrect.
sudog03

Postby Smurf » Fri May 08, 2020 2:38 pm

sudog03 wrote:There is no problem in promotion. But, it can really affect the mindset within your program when you constantly promote things that have little to no substance. For example, in 2017 we finished 6th in the league with a 9-9 record. But we paid to play in a meaningless postseason tournament, won a game, got to 20 wins and then that summer I'm reading articles where players are talking about what seed in the NCAA tournament we are gonna get the next season. We went 10-22. My point is, it's OK to peddle bull malarkey, heck everyone does it. When you start believing your own bull malarkey, that's when it becomes a problem.

Also, to think we hired Bucky because no one else was interested, is wildly incorrect.

Also, it is understandable that after you fall into two or three cycles of promotion-failed product, folks are going to be less inclined to buy into it the third time than they were the first time, regardless of who the coach is. That is human nature. At some point the collective mindset is: Don't sell it to me, just become what you are trying to sell. The selling then takes care of itself.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Fri May 08, 2020 2:44 pm

sudog03 wrote:Also, to think we hired Bucky because no one else was interested, is wildly incorrect.

This is a true statement.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SAM1014 » Mon May 18, 2020 10:32 pm

Another transfer, Quinn Rickey from James Madison. Will most likely sit a year then have 3 to play.

https://247sports.com/Player/Quinn-Rich ... ol-195923/
SAM1014

Postby Cujo » Tue May 19, 2020 2:56 am

How many Furman transfers are we going to get. It is becoming an all girls school. I’m expecting a kiln accident https://youtu.be/asnzmpORTE8
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Previous

Return to The Dog Pound