Football season—questions

Football season—questions

Postby Cujo » Wed May 13, 2020 1:54 pm

1. Will it happen?
2. Will it happened on time?
3. Where is Chris Hatcher?
4. Will we have a winning season?
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Re: Football season—questions

Postby hotdiggitydog » Wed May 13, 2020 2:24 pm

Great questions. Regarding #1, 3 MWC schools in Cali have already announced that no fall classes will be held on campus. At least one school, Florida Tech, has dropped football. Still, I think SEC schools will bring students on campus, arguably in order to play football.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
hotdiggitydog

Postby sudog03 » Wed May 13, 2020 3:09 pm

Cujo wrote:1. Will it happen?
2. Will it happened on time?
3. Where is Chris Hatcher?
4. Will we have a winning season?

1. Personally, I think it depends on if the FBS money games are played. If FBS goes to a conference only schedule, I can't see small private schools spending a bunch of money to play each other in front of 2,500 people. That loss of 400-500k in revenue makes a huge hole. Also, the risks of playing at a SoCon school far outweigh any economic benefit to the school.

2. If it happens, it will be on time.

3. We are a WBB school.

4. Don't think so. Schedule is harder, don't think the talent level has improved, not sure we improved the staff either. Had so many breaks go against us last year, maybe some go our way this year and we can get to 6-6.
Last edited by sudog03 on Wed May 13, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sudog03

Postby SU DOG » Wed May 13, 2020 3:11 pm

The Citadel announced yesterday that they will open up the school in August.
SU DOG

Postby Smurf » Wed May 13, 2020 4:11 pm

If football doesn't return to being the football that we remembered, I fear the fall out for this will be very significant. particularly at the FCS and lower FBS level.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby sudog03 » Wed May 13, 2020 4:55 pm

SU DOG wrote:The Citadel announced yesterday that they will open up the school in August.

A lot of schools have announced that intention, Samford being one of them. Just keep in mind that alot of schools have deposits due in May for the next year, so I'd be "planning" on that too. I think the much more important question is how many kids show up? Your talking about record unemployment, lots of folks who are still working have had their income negatively impacted, and a public health question. You will see a reduction in enrollment, especially in room/board enrollment.

Also, based on Samford's annual report, their net assets have decreased 17% ($59,563,728) in the period from July 1, 2014 to June 30th, 2019. Most of that loss is attributed to a legacy pension program. But, still it's a loss none the less. Since they had to give back over 6m in Spring 2020 fees and the market just got kicked in the teeth, I can't imagine the year ending June 30 2020 will be much better. The university already made the decision a few years back not to increase it's contribution to athletics.

I have no idea what will be done, and I hope to see very little changes. But, given the landscape, I am dropping any preconceived notion I have. It's a challenging time. I don't envy the decision makers.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Wed May 13, 2020 6:10 pm

I'm going to yell "fire" in a crowded theater, but "social distancing and quarantining is and was never about public health". We are not sheep. We are Americans, damn it. Liberty or death. Defend your rights and don't be herded into the slaughter house pen like sheep due to fear. If they are going to run us over, bite the damn tire as your last act of defiance. A life without liberty is no life at all.

If it takes the threat of taking college football away from us for society to grow a pair of proverbial "manhoods", then by gosh I dare them to make the threat. If we do not care about any other God-given right, we won't give up our God given right to be entertained by college football. Our rally cry in the year 2020 should be: "Give me the right to assemble and watch college football, or give me death."

And still I ask, where is Chris Hatcher?
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby Cujo » Thu May 14, 2020 11:43 am

Cujo

Postby 77SU » Thu May 14, 2020 12:52 pm

Cujo wrote:And still I ask, where is Chris Hatcher?

You don’t get your name in a press release unless it begins with Bucky.
77SU

Postby Cujo » Thu May 14, 2020 12:57 pm

This just in: Chris Hatcher reveals his nickname is “Bucky”, wants to be called Bucky Hatcher.
Cujo

Next

Return to The Dog Pound