Christen Cunningham transferring

Re: Christen Cunningham transferring

Postby big_dog1968 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:47 pm

Smurf wrote:The mere fact that we suffered a major round of voluntary player departures should give loyal followers serious pause in considering whether Padgett is the right man for this particular job.

Or if his boss, Newton is right for his job. Remember how he was supposed to be the 'basketball guy,' who whatever else happened in the athletic department, could definitely get things right in basketball? Yeah, not so much. :lol:
big_dog1968

Postby Smurf » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:56 pm

AP wrote:
sudog03 wrote:Just really depends on the level of buy-in our coaches can get from the players.
I mean, there's a great track record to show that's going to happen, right? Seems like the staff has really had their finger on the pulse of the team for a long while.

And one would think that he would have learned a lot of what didn't work at Samford from working under the turmoil of Seltzer and being present for Seltzer's departure. Padgett has been part of the program for almost six years now. If things haven't changed before now then there is little hope of things changing going forward. It is what it is...at least until 2022.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby sudog03 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:02 pm

My point is this, the middle-bottom of this league was not very good last season, and will probably be worse next season. WCU, Citadel, Samford, UTC are all in some form of rebuilding. VMI is VMI and Mercer is losing all 5 of their top scorers. We will have some talent next season. Can we create a culture where they want to give effort to defend/rebound and want to be at SU? That's the question. If we can figure that out, we can see an improved record that sniffs .500 in league play. It's a big IF.
sudog03

Postby AP » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:54 pm

Oh, I see what you're saying now. You're saying that if the coaching staff can totally change the way it interacts with its players, what it values, how it defines success, and other DNA-level stuff then we might finish near the middle of the pack in the SoCon. Cool. Sign me up.
AP

Postby sudog03 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:13 pm

AP wrote:Oh, I see what you're saying now. You're saying that if the coaching staff can totally change the way it interacts with its players, what it values, how it defines success, and other DNA-level stuff then we might finish near the middle of the pack in the SoCon. Cool. Sign me up.

You got any other feasible ideas? And I was also saying too, hey we stunk out loud last year, and still found a way to win 6 games in the league. I mean, the only Div 1 teams we beat in non-conference were a combined 7-55. We won't have to be much better to "sniff a .500 league record".
sudog03

Postby AP » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:35 pm

I have no ideas that are feasible under the current facts.
AP

Postby sudog03 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:18 pm

sudog03 wrote:My point is this, the middle-bottom of this league was not very good last season, and will probably be worse next season. WCU, Citadel, Samford, UTC are all in some form of rebuilding. VMI is VMI and Mercer is losing all 5 of their top scorers. We will have some talent next season. Can we create a culture where they want to give effort to defend/rebound and want to be at SU? That's the question. If we can figure that out, we can see an improved record that sniffs .500 in league play. It's a big IF.

UTC is now up to 5 early departures, add their lone senior to that number and they will be replacing 6 out of their top 8 scorers. 6 of the 9 teams in the league will be in a huge transition process or named VMI next season. SoCon will not be a good league next season, hopefully leads us to being competitive.
sudog03

Postby sudog03 » Sat May 05, 2018 3:03 pm

Make that 6 early departures at UTC.
sudog03

Postby High Plains Drifter » Sun May 06, 2018 4:09 am

Drifting around aimlessly. Just can't watch anymore of the Predators debacle. What is up with all the transfers at Socon schools? Are all these players so good that they are just moving on up or is there a disconnect between the players and the staff? I don't know the situation but I agree with Tubby Smith. The way things are now, if the primadonnas don't have everything fed to them on a silver spoon, they run away. That's not good and will find out when their college days are over, there won't be any silver spoons waiting in the business world.

UNA's new coach reviewed the low GPAs, lack of discipline, failure to be on track to graduate and not being D1 caliber players. Only two from last season have been retained. We have signed an exciting class and have plenty of room for newcomers.
High Plains Drifter

Previous

Return to The Dog Pound