Our Defensive Situation - WOW!

Our Defensive Situation - WOW!

Postby SU DOG » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:59 pm

Western Carolina is supposed to be the worst defensive team in the SoCon. I just hope we don't overtake them. Statistically it is now very close.

Read This And Weep: Samford is now DEAD LAST in the SoCon in the following defensive categories. What is going on here?

Scoring Defense - Dead Last.
Total Defense - Dead Last.
Rushing Defense - Dead Last.
Pass Efficiency Defense - Dead Last.
Interceptions - Dead Last.
Opponents First Down Conversions - Dead Last.
Opponents Third Down Conversions - Dead Last.
Opponents Fourth Down Conversions - Surprise! WCU is Dead Last, but we are next above them.
SU DOG

Re: Our Defensive Situation - WOW!

Postby Jiggs » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:48 pm

it's time to make a change.
Jiggs

Postby Smurf » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:30 pm

This will bless you even more, SU DOG.

There are 124 FCS teams.

We are tied for 95th in interceptions.

We are 101st in sacks.

We are tied for 103rd in forced turnovers.

We are 104th in fourth down defense.

We are 111th in third down defense.

We are 115th in defensive passing efficiency.

We are 118th in rushing defense.

We are 119th in first down defense.

We are 121st in total defense (497 ypg).

We are 121st in scoring defense (nearly 43 ppg).

Yeah, there need to be some changes made.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby SU DOG » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:50 pm

Could be more understandable IF we were playing a large number of freshmen, buy we are NOT. The starters last Saturday, consisted of ONE underclassman. Cheeks probably started at LB ahead of East(Soph) because of Nathan having a slight injury. As 03 pointed out, Matthew didn't play, but another upperclassman replaced him. The breakdown was 3-seniors, 7-juniors, and ONE underclassman, and that is about what we usually field. I just don't know what is wrong here. Admittedly, some of those stats are affected by all the OTs. You can't blame OTs entirely, however, when you see how we miss tackles, give up critical third downs, and let conference opponents have record offensive outings the last 2 weeks(Furman point total and VMI with a RB scoring 6 TDs). Seems also that our run defense and our pass defense are about equally inept. :(
SU DOG

Postby FUBeAR » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:08 pm

SU DOG wrote:Seems also that our run defense and our pass defense are about equally inept. :(

Coaches often talk about wanting to be ”balanced.”
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.
FUBeAR

Postby big_dog1968 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:17 pm

SU DOG wrote:Could be more understandable IF we were playing a large number of freshmen, buy we are NOT. The starters last Saturday, consisted of ONE underclassman. Cheeks probably started at LB ahead of East(Soph) because of Nathan having a slight injury. As 03 pointed out, Matthew didn't play, but another upperclassman replaced him. The breakdown was 3-seniors, 7-juniors, and ONE underclassman, and that is about what we usually field. I just don't know what is wrong here. Admittedly, some of those stats are affected by all the OTs. You can't blame OTs entirely, however, when you see how we miss tackles, give up critical third downs, and let conference opponents have record offensive outings the last 2 weeks(Furman point total and VMI with a RB scoring 6 TDs). Seems also that our run defense and our pass defense are about equally inept. :(

I don't have the time or will to do it, but how did this years upper classes compare to other defensive classes coming out of high school, in terms of ratings/recruiting. How many FBS transfers playing this year compared to years past - at least a couple of our NFL'ers were FBS transfers that i can think of so their impact is undeniable. I know we always want to believe our talent is all world all the time, but that's not reality. Just a couple of thoughts. Whether it's how we're coaching or who we are or aren't getting on signing day it still falls on the coaches but it would be interesting to see if that was part of the issue.
big_dog1968

Postby Smurf » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:38 pm

FUBeAR wrote:
SU DOG wrote:Seems also that our run defense and our pass defense are about equally inept. :(

Coaches often talk about wanting to be ”balanced.”

When your front seven are getting whipped like this, invariably, the secondary is forced to take on more of a dual role of helping in run support. It's a lot to ask our secondary to help in run support while simultaneously locking down receivers. Opposing offensive coordinators are able to lure the secondary with the run and then throw over the top. FU certainly took advantage of that on us a few times.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby SU DOG » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:42 pm

I do not think it is the result of recruiting. One question we need to ask is how much have injuries played a part in our demise? OK, not trying to make excuses here, BUT consider that marque DB players like Koi Freeman, William Bryant, and Lamar Anderson have all been sidelined. There may be others, but those 3 are definitely stellar players who we are really missing. Does this excuse the missed tackles, wide-open receivers, and defensive confusion that we all see? Absolutely NOT, especially after 7 games. You would think that our next man up guys would be better than what they have been, but since you asked, IMO, the recruiting is really NOT the problem. I think our coaches have recruited really well. I just wish I knew how to explain this situation, because we are definitely under achieving.
SU DOG

Postby Cujo » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:48 pm

How many of those guys were missing or unhealthy against TTU? It isn’t about injuries. That, unfortunately, is an excuse. Football is about your 2s and 3s. Everyone has injuries.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:11 am

I thought I had made it clear that I was NOT using injuries as an excuse. Also, you are correct about the 2's and 3's. But to answer your question, none of those guys started against TTU, and only one of them played, according to the Box Score. I still don't think we have had a bad recruiting class in a long time(in answer to Big Dog's question).
SU DOG

Next

Return to The Dog Pound