Our Defensive Situation - WOW!

Re: Our Defensive Situation - WOW!

Postby Cujo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:40 pm

I’m sorry, I thought you weren’t “trying” to make excuses, but then made an excuse without trying to. I don’t really care what anyone says, we are a poorly coached, inconsistent football team. We have been for years. And I don’t think anyone cares as long as we get 5 or 6 wins a season.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:58 pm

Cujo wrote:I’m sorry, I thought you weren’t “trying” to make excuses, but then made an excuse without trying to. I don’t really care what anyone says, we are a poorly coached, inconsistent football team. We have been for years. And I don’t think anyone cares as long as we get 5 or 6 wins a season.

I think most of us on this Board care and I totally agree that 5-6 wins at Samford is NOT acceptable.
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:29 pm

SU DOG wrote:Western Carolina is supposed to be the worst defensive team in the SoCon. I just hope we don't overtake them. Statistically it is now very close.

Read This And Weep: Samford is now DEAD LAST in the SoCon in the following defensive categories. What is going on here?

Scoring Defense - Dead Last.
Total Defense - Dead Last.
Rushing Defense - Dead Last.
Pass Efficiency Defense - Dead Last.
Interceptions - Dead Last.
Opponents First Down Conversions - Dead Last.
Opponents Third Down Conversions - Dead Last.
Opponents Fourth Down Conversions - Surprise! WCU is Dead Last, but we are next above them.

We certainly have our issues defensively. 1st half Furman, 1st half VMI, 2nd half TTU, 2nd and 4th quarter YSU were bad. Played decent for some stretches. We are 4th in the league in yards allowed per play, which without looking, is about where we have been I think. We are 2nd in yards allowed per rush. We have just faced a ton more plays because our offense is turnover prone, our offense is either boom or bust (neither which take much time off clock) we haven't forced enough turnovers, and really we aren't good enough on 3rd down either way right now. Metrics like scoring defense and totals are going to be scewed somewhat given we have played 7 OT periods. Improving 3rd down (both offense and defense) and turnover margin (both offense and defense) are a must going forward.
sudog03

Postby SU DOG » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:47 pm

If there was a stat for missed tackles, we would surely lead the conference in that category. I will have to disagree somewhat with 03 about the time of possession being that big of a factor. Of our 2 SoCon wins, those teams, Wofford and The Citadel, had the largest TOP against us, but we won. Wofford had the ball over 21 minutes more than us(40.35 to 19.25), and The Citadel possessed the ball a whopping 42.09 to 17.52, that's 2 seconds under a 25 minute difference. :shock: Playing those 2 ball control teams could also be said to have skewed the TOP stat. The VMI TOP was just under 7 minutes difference.

No, IMO, it is missed tackles, improper gap coverage, and lack of something in the preparation that is a far bigger concern.
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:01 pm

That's what I meant when I said we have issues defensively. And I should have added time in of itself does not matter, but play counts do.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:09 pm

SU DOG wrote:
Cujo wrote:I’m sorry, I thought you weren’t “trying” to make excuses, but then made an excuse without trying to. I don’t really care what anyone says, we are a poorly coached, inconsistent football team. We have been for years. And I don’t think anyone cares as long as we get 5 or 6 wins a season.

I think most of us on this Board care and I totally agree that 5-6 wins at Samford is NOT acceptable.

Unfortunately, most of us on the Samford board are not the people at Samford I was referring to who need to care but don’t. As long as we balance the budget and win as many as we lose, no reason to upset the apple cart.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby Smurf » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:20 am

SU DOG wrote:If there was a stat for missed tackles, we would surely lead the conference in that category.

This begs the question as to whether we are not strong enough or whether we are just too soft/not tough enough.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby SU DOG » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:41 pm

Cujo wrote:
SU DOG wrote:

Unfortunately, most of us on the Samford board are not the people at Samford I was referring to who need to care but don’t. As long as we balance the budget and win as many as we lose, no reason to upset the apple cart.

Hammer hits nail with cujo's post. I was once told a brilliant truth that "coaches win games, but administrators win championships". In the SoCon, IMO, most schools' administrators are actually satisfied with exactly what cujo stated. Watch out for Mercer, as they are definitely an exception. It may take a few years for what I say to become evident, but stay tuned.
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:55 pm

In our last 6 quarters of regulation, we've forced more turnovers (4) than touchdowns we've allowed (3). Forced 6 3 and out possessions yesterday. Not perfect, but getting better.
sudog03

Postby SU DOG » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:34 pm

sudog03 wrote:In our last 6 quarters of regulation, we've forced more turnovers (4) than touchdowns we've allowed (3). Forced 6 3 and out possessions yesterday. Not perfect, but getting better.

I hope you are right 03, but I just didn't see it. This was a VERY BAD ETSU team, especially offensively speaking. Yesterday's game was played in bad conditions, with several dropped passes by wide open receivers, and yet ETSU had more passing yardage than any game since their OT VMI loss. This was their 4th conference game since then. Even their total yardage was the best in conference play since that VMI game. All that said, it was sure good to see us win the 2nd half, and get another SoCon win.
SU DOG

PreviousNext

Return to The Dog Pound