Mercer

Re: Mercer

Postby funkychicken » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:05 pm

Hey, if you Samford fans are looking for a change at HFC, may I suggest a HFC that has lead his team to five consecutive conference championships and five consecutive playoff appearances and even played in the National Champioship game. What a resume. You are welcome to go after him.

FC
Jax State MBB NCAA 17 CBI 18
1AA/FCS Playoffs: 2003, 04, 10, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
D2 Football National Champs 1992
D2 Baseball World Series Champs 1990, 1991
D2 Men's Basketball National Champs 1985
D2 Women's Gymnastics National Champs 1984, 1985
funkychicken

Postby sudog03 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:07 pm

I think every coach in college football should be fired other than Saban.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:37 pm

JN would not be on my list, but Samford isn't letting anyone go so it is all an exercise in futility.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby Smurf » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:39 pm

ChampDog2013 wrote:I've held my tongue for too long. Hatcher needs to leave. We need a change of culture at Samford, back to hard nose football. My first call is to Josh Niblett at Hoover.

Hatcher's last three season at his last three FCS schools:

2007 Georgia Southern 7–4
2008 Georgia Southern 6–5
2009 Georgia Southern 5–6

2012 Murray State 5–6
2013 Murray State 6–6
2014 Murray State 3–9

2017 Samford 8–4
2018 Samford 6–5
2019 Samford 4–5 (odds favor a 5-7 season)

Hatcher's been a FCS coach for 12 years at three difference FCS schools. He is 0-2 in the playoffs at those three schools and has a career FCS winning percentage of .539. This equates to a win total of around six per year. In those 12 years his highest win total was eight and his lowest was three. I think 12 years at three different schools gives us a good indication on what we should expect from Hatcher as a career head coach. A best case scenario is eight wins, a worst case scenario is three wins, and on average we can expect six wins a season from Hatcher (assuming a 5-7 2019 season, he will finish five years at SU averaging 6.4 wins a season). Expecting eight wins going forward is going to be a stretch as would assuming just three wins going forward would be a stretch. Assuming 6-5 a season is realistic. Historically a 6-5 record translates to a fourth place finish in the conference. Are you satisfied with a 6-5 record and a fourth place finish in the SoCon? Personally I am not and I think a school that preaches excellence and excels in many other areas should not be satisfied with that either. Sadly, I am afraid the administration is accepting of this, however. Hatcher is not a great coach and he is not a poor coach, but if you are willing to settle for mediocrity, he's certainly your guy.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby sudog03 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:01 pm

Yeah, I hate to break it, but if you finish in the top of the league most every season, scare a championship periodically, graduate your kids, and your team is a good member of the community your going to last a long time at Samford, as it is currently constructed. Can you point to an example an our athletic department, say in the last 20 years where that has not been the case?
sudog03

Postby sudog03 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:17 pm

And also, I would add Hatcher entered the year with the 2nd highest winning percentage since reinstating the program, had our best regular season in 25 years in 2017, had a Walter Payton winner, to name a few things. We have lost 3 games in overtime. The sky is not falling. I'm gonna get behind this team and see if we can pull these last 2 league games out.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:46 pm

sudog03 wrote:And also, I would add Hatcher entered the year with the 2nd highest winning percentage since reinstating the program, had our best regular season in 25 years in 2017, had a Walter Payton winner, to name a few things. We have lost 3 games in overtime. The sky is not falling. I'm gonna get behind this team and see if we can pull these last 2 league games out.

Keeping things fair: A Walter Payton winner who Sullivan signed. 5 recruiting years later, we aren't exactly flush with all conference qbs.

I'm going to be at the game, lord willing. But, it is UTC and Hatcher doesn't exactly have a good record against them. Feasts on Wofford though, I'll give him that.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby Smurf » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:52 pm

sudog03 wrote:And also, I would add Hatcher entered the year with the 2nd highest winning percentage since reinstating the program, had our best regular season in 25 years in 2017, had a Walter Payton winner, to name a few things. We have lost 3 games in overtime. The sky is not falling. I'm gonna get behind this team and see if we can pull these last 2 league games out.

In all fairness, it really isn't hard for Hatcher to beat out Kim Alsop, Bill Gray, and Pete Hurt on that list (Gailey gets an incomplete because even at 5-6, he was only here for a season). I would hope our commitment to football is greater than it was when Pete Hurt was beating Our Sisters of the Cupcake twice a year.

That aside, from reading your post, is it safe to assume that you are okay with averaging six wins a season?
BOE.
Smurf

Postby sudog03 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:00 pm

It doesn't matter what I'm OK with. Nobody that matters cares. And that's fine with me. And personally, conference records mean more to me, regardless of sport. Not that that matters either. And in terms of commitment of resources, challenges still remain. Better? Sure. But that's not the only issue we face.

But since you asked, yes, I am OK where we are overall as a program. I think we are more talented than our record indicates, but we have some real holes that I wasn't as aware of until the games started. More so just frustrated with our poor 4th quarter performance in each game besides Wofford and Citadel.
sudog03

Postby SU DOG » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:13 pm

What cujo said - That is very true. Coach Hatcher has an extension through 2023.

What 03 said - Well Pete Hurt was fired after a 1-4 start to the 2001 season. Hurt had 5 of 6 winning seasons before that. Bill Gray was installed, but he was fired after the 2005 season. I'm not sure that these two meet all the criteria that was mentioned, but they did occur during the mentioned time frame.

What smurf said - There are several things that do cause some reason for concern here. Those last 3 season trends are definitely alarming. I am actually afraid of us going 4-8 this season in Coach Hatcher's 5th year. What smurf didn't bring out is that in Coach Hatcher's final season(5th year) at Murray State that 3-9 record includes only ONE D-1 win. The next year he was our new HC. I have previously mentioned the Spiral Effect for Air Raid Offenses. I was hoping that was just a myth, but now I'm not sure. I have heard some Samford fans wonder aloud just how much of his success at Samford has been due to the talent of Devlin Hodges, actually saying that he rode Duck's coattail for most of those wins.

Positives for HCCH - Players love to play for him and usually are good citizens. He is a good man, IMO, and I would love to see him go on a huge winning streak. Can that happen? Let's hope so because he WILL be here for quite a while.
SU DOG

PreviousNext

Return to The Dog Pound