Basketball tonight

Re: Basketball tonight

Postby Smurf » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:43 pm

As a senior, Sharkey needs to make better decisions. Fouling a guy 23 feet away from the basket with one second left when you are up by two cannot happen. Plowing into a double team on a break on a critical drive when you have four fouls can't happen.

I like Dupree. I think he can be a real asset in the paint.

Interior defense left a lot to be desired, particularly weak side help.

Robert Allen is going to be a stud in this league by the time he is a senior.

What is the status of Stanley Henderson?
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:52 pm

does anyone remember when basketball was a team sport?
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby Cujo » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:24 pm

big_dog1968 wrote:
Cujo wrote:Well, that was ugly. Looks like a typical basketball season awaits us.

I'm debating a new nickname. From now on, instead of Cujo, you are hereby dubbed 'Mary Sunshine!"

It is Samford athletics. We had the game won. We had multiple opportunities to put it away. We just didn’t need to foul on the inbound with 1 second left.

Allen is a beast. Sharkey is out of control, makes circus plays every now and then, but turns the ball over on a regular basis and doesn’t feed his supporting cast consistently. Not what I want in a point guard. I give him props for staying all four years (that’s a first in some time, I think), but it almost appears that to keep him from transferring they have let him do whatever he wants to do.

Dupree showed me some things that gave me optimism, but overall, I didn’t see anything in game one that made me think that there was anything different about this team than the past 4 years. Hopefully we’ll see improvement.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby sudog03 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:11 pm

Missing Myron Gordon certainly didn't help. Hurt I guess?

Team has a ways to go. Shot selection has to improve. Guards/wings have to do a better job stopping drives as we have no rim protector.
sudog03

Postby Smurf » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:30 pm

Yeah, shot selection definitely has to improve.

What is up with Gordon?
BOE.
Smurf

Postby SAM1014 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:29 pm

We don't need Sharkey taking 24 shots. He's better when he is taking about half of those shots and creating more opportunities for others. We only had 9 assists last night. Gotta move the ball better than that
SAM1014

Postby Smurf » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:38 pm

SAM1014 wrote:We don't need Sharkey taking 24 shots. He's better when he is taking about half of those shots and creating more opportunities for others. We only had 9 assists last night. Gotta move the ball better than that

And he only made nine of those 24 shots too.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby SU DOG » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:29 pm

Very disappointing loss to what I think is a weak team. I'm afraid that we will be killed inside the paint this year. A really good post presence is missing. Teams with those 6-9 and up guys will be unstoppable for us. Last night MSU got numerous dunks, put backs, and rebounds that I was hoping we would not see from a team that really wasn't that big. Also, Brandon Austin has to be hitting better for us to win.

On another note, WBB looked good against Montevallo, after getting over a very slow start. So far the Maryland xfer is living up to billing. Next to last in the SoCon? I may be wrong, but I seriously doubt it.
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:17 pm

SU DOG wrote:On another note, WBB looked good against Montevallo, after getting over a very slow start. So far the Maryland xfer is living up to billing. Next to last in the SoCon? I may be wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

Hope your right. If new coach can get a plus .500 league record, she should probably be coach of the year in league. Not sure it means a whole lot, but we did beat Montevallo by 26 last season.
sudog03

Postby Jiggs » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:57 pm

We picked up where we left off last year. Decent first half - other team adjusts - we do not.
Jiggs

PreviousNext

Return to The Dog Pound