WBB Fordham Holiday Tournament

WBB Fordham Holiday Tournament

Postby SU DOG » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:25 pm

Samford vs Fordham this Sunday at noon. The venue is historic Rose Hill Gym on the campus of Fordham University. It is the oldest arena in the nation that still hosts D-1 Basketball. The 3200 seat gym, built in 1925, has been upgraded several times. It was to be replaced in the seventies due to an effort by renowned alumnus Vince Lombardi and Men's HC Digger Phelps. Lombardi died, however, and after one year with the Rams, Digger moved on to Notre Dame.

Fordham University, located in the Bronx NY, is a Jesuit school of about 15,000 students. Their WBB Team won the A10 last year and went to the NCAAs where they lost to Syracuse. They ended with a 25-9 record for the season. They return most of that roster. Their star is Bre Cavanaugh, a 5-8 guard who can literally do it all. She was a ESPN top 100 player coming out of HS. Earlier this year the Rams lost to last year's national champion Notre Dame by 5 points before a SRO crowd in Rose Hill Gym. Houston and Hofstra are the other 2 teams in the tourney. Obviously, the Rams chose our Dogs for their first round opponent. According to their announcers, whom I heard while watching their last game, Samford is a lower tier team with a bad record, and the Rams can improve by not playing down to such opponents.

I don't know if our team can clear this huge hurdle or not, but I believe that Samford will be competitive, and garner a little more respect than Fordham currently has for our team.
SU DOG

Re: WBB Fordham Holiday Tournament

Postby SU DOG » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:42 pm

I was curious to see what the bookies would say. There wasn't a line that I found yesterday, but right now there is. Samford actually is getting a little bit more respect than I had thought we would. The Fordham Rams are a 9.5 point favorite. In football, the home field is usually considered about a 3 point edge. In basketball, however, it is often said to be worth as much as 10 points. If you go by that hypothesis, then we are about even with this storied Fordham program. Of course, there are inexplicable hot shooting and cold shooting games for every team. Long travel is also involved in this situation.
Whatever happens in this tourney, I really think we have a team that will win most of their SoCon games.
SU DOG

Postby SU DOG » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:44 pm

Well that was an UGLY first half for our Bulldogs. I think I counted 9 of our shots that balanced on the rim and fell off. Meanwhile, the Rams were making 3 pointers that they shot from Manhattan. LOL! Anyhow, it is 29-12, and we look like we are glued to the floor.
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:45 pm

Hope you didn't put any money on the Dogs.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:23 pm

Hang in there, SUD. One day your eternal optimism will be rewarded.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:39 am

Cujo wrote:Hang in there, SUD. One day your eternal optimism will be rewarded.

Hopefully when the SoCon season starts.
SU DOG

Return to The Dog Pound