91 - Furman
125 - WCU
135 - Wofford
164 - Chattanooga
254 - Mercer
295 - Samford
317 - The Citadel
321 - VMI
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Re: 300 is just a loss away

Postby SAM1014 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:10 pm

Our next five are all probably not winnable so we can get there
SAM1014

Postby AP » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:11 pm

Only #286 in KenPom.
AP

Postby SAM1014 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:00 pm

We made it! 301
SAM1014

Postby Cujo » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:54 pm

We have three options: 1. hope for rock bottom to force change; 2. rally around the team because we are naively supportive/loyal; or 3. quit caring and cease interest in Samford basketball.

Insanity has been defined as doing the same thing the same way with the same people over and over and expecting a different outcome.

There are a lot of things that compete with the average potential Samford fan’s entertainment dollar. Samford basketball, from its author to it operations, is bad business right now. Mass exodus number three in the future?
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby Smurf » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:43 pm

Honestly a mini streak here does nothing for us and in fact only hurts us long term. Padgett has had six years to place the program on solid footing and we are no better off now than we were in year one of his reign. What we don't need is a small glimmer of false hope to give the powers at be a reason to avoid buying him out. I feel for the players who are here now who are stuck in this perpetual cycle of losing, but this program needs a real overhaul. It needs to be blown up and renewed from scratch. Given the toxic atmosphere of the program at the time, this is what should have happened when Seltzer left, but Newton had other ideas. For the betterment of the entire program, in hopes of true foundational improvement, hitting rock bottom (and some might rightfully argue that we are already there) might be the best option. If basketball is truly a sport of emphasis (which is highly debatable I guess) then you also need to make the difficult decisions to see that vision through. Otherwise, let's just go through the motions for the next few years and fool everyone with meaningless fluffy tweets about winning, protecting your homecourt, blah blah blah.

This program needs to show something of itself before it should expect anything at all from the fan base.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:03 am

Remember when Martin Newton fired Jimmy Tillette, hired Bennie Seltzer from a big school and he was going to take us to the sweet 16 and get hired away and then Scott Padgett was going to take over and maintain the dominance? That’s when we decided we were going to emphasize basketball? That was a good plan.
Cujo

Postby Smurf » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:05 pm

Newton acted like he could just speak these things into existence. For every Davidson and Butler there are 50 Samfords, Abilene Christians, and Sacred Hearts who want to be consistently in the top 50 RPI. A lot of things have to come together for a school to become a nationally recognized mid-major. Hiring the right guy is just one of may pieces of the puzzle necessary (and we have in recent years consistently failed in that endeavor), but there are many other aspects (and some luck too) that come into play. I am sure the AD at California Baptist would admit to wanting to be a Sweet 16 team as much as Newton. Success happens not at all in what you say, but what you do. We have the saying part down pretty well; we haven't gotten the "do" part down...not in the least.

We know what needs to be done here, but I am sure this is frustrating for the BOT/Westmoreland to fire (and subsequently eat contracts) for three coaches (two of which were bad hires) in a period of eight years. It's one thing to make a mistake, pay for it, and move on. It's another to continue to make the same mistakes and then continue to pay for said mistakes. With Padgett clearly unable to right the ship, the administration will be challenged to yet again cut the cord (and eat some amount of money) for a mistake hire. I am sure their patience for this cycle of bad hires and fires has a ceiling. For financial reasons, it would be difficult to place much blame on them for not canning Padgett and allowing him to stay until his contract expires.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby sudog03 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:17 pm

Davidson?? Butler?? Top 50 RPI??? Heck, I'd like to just beat some teams in our league that don't have a military component. I believe last night's loss made us 4-32 in our last 36 league games against teams not named VMI/Citadel. Not having to play a play in game for the conference tournament would be nice also.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:22 pm

There is a ceiling for booster support. Even the faithful have better things to do with their time and my money.
Cujo

Next

Return to The Dog Pound