300 is just a loss away

Re: 300 is just a loss away

Postby Smurf » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:34 pm

Sham.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby DC_INT'L » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:32 pm

Smurf wrote:Hiring the right guy is just one of may pieces of the puzzle necessary (and we have in recent years consistently failed in that endeavor), but there are many other aspects (and some luck too) that come into play. I am sure the AD at California Baptist would admit to wanting to be a Sweet 16 team as much as Newton. Success happens not at all in what you say, but what you do.

I'm half-way through a basketball podcast that's an depth interview of Cal Baptist's head coach. They hired the right guy.
DC_INT'L

Postby DawgFan » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:16 am

Face the facts. Major SU Athletics no longer belong in the neighborhood in which they play. It’s like the kid in the neighborhood who wants to be athletic and play ball with the other guys but would be better off helping his mom bathe the cat. The frail somewhat scrawny kid who wears big rimmed glasses and seems to always have a runny nose. He can’t play on freshly mowed grass or well, you know, risk missing a week of school. Oh sometimes he might have a bright moment only to soon be observed picking his nose or falling up a set of stairs. Kind of like a financially strapped athletic dept. giving a check to the pharmacy school of all places. This mentality my friends is why several steps down the athletic ladder are the only way today’s overdosed on false bravado SU will be respectful in athletic endeavors. Play against schools who do things the way they are done on Lakeshore Drive. Not my choice but when you act like a nerd, play like a nerd and otherwise do nerdy things, it’s time to realize the minors not the majors might just be where you belong.
DawgFan

Postby SU DOG » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:21 am

I hope this is not another one of those "let's play with B'ham Southern, Huntingdon, and Faulkner" posts. Reminds me of a few years ago when some on here wanted to do away with football. or go to non-scholly status. Come on man, we have resources and facilities that these lower division teams don't even come close to. Throw out the baby with the bath water is never a good solution. Of course we need to win, that goes without saying, but Hatcher and Padgett have been given the necessities to do so. Can't recruit to Samford? Strange then that we have so many players in the NFL, and three transfers that started on P5 basketball teams last year. We have problems that need to get fixed, but, IMO, that falls on the coaches.
I did not understand the donation to pharmacy, but 77 explained it, and it is evidently nothing new. Financially strapped Athletic Department? The cooperate support has been increased by a whopping 600% in the last 3 years. :o The Bulldog Club is at an all-time high in membership and giving. Several sports have seen facility upgrades in the past year. Baseball with a new-look fence, tennis with a new scoreboard, football with a new video board, and there are probably several others. One of those NFL players just recently gave $100,000 to the stadium upgrade project, and we will see more improvements there in the future.

Yes, we need fixing, but we DO NOT need uprooting.
SU DOG

Postby DawgFan » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:04 am

The financial news is good to hear. My point was only that if the athletic dept can afford to buy enemas for the pharmacy school, they should be able to buy out some contracts and clean out all the crap going on with SU Athletics.}
DawgFan

Postby SU DOG » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:48 am

DawgFan wrote:The financial news is good to hear. My point was only that if the athletic dept can afford to buy enemas for the pharmacy school, they should be able to buy out some contracts and clean out all the crap going on with SU Athletics.}

Oh, sorry, I thought you were inferring we should not be D-1. Yeah, if buying contracts is necessary to make Samford relevant in the 2 major sports, then I agree. We all know, however, that normally Samford is very slow to do so.
SU DOG

Postby DawgFan » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:16 am

I was also inferring we should not be Division 1 if we are not going to be competitive. Winning only begins where losing is no longer tolerated. The folks in charge at old SU seem very tolerant to staying on the low end of the major sports spectrum. Status quo seems to be the goal rather than shooting for the moon. The only coach who has been at SU who had something extra and unexpected for their opponent no matter the team team they were playing was Terry Bowden. He had that killer instinct that made the team take on his persona. Brady could recruit and it worked out well because Tillette could coach good talent. That was dynamite in a bottle which resulted in two NCAA Tourneys. Since then, nada, zero, zilch. Only a slow decline that has brought us back to the McClown era. Maybe it will change one day, but based on history we can likely just expect the smoke and mirror games we have seen time and time again.
DawgFan

Postby SU DOG » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:46 pm

Certainly agree about Terry Bowden, and can't argue about basketball points. I also wish the administration was more proactive in furthering our athletic status. To say that nothing has been done, however, is inaccurate. In football, Hurt and Gray were both fired, and Pat Sullivan was hired as one of the highest paid coaches($400,000 area) in the country. The budget was increased, and is still competitive with SoCon peers. Basketball is another animal, and I don't have knowledge of actual figures, but I'm thinking that we certainly have the budget to be competitive.

Coaching hires, to me, is the more relevant issue here. Martin had absolutely nothing to do with Hatcher's hire. He was handpicked by Coach Sullivan, as most on here are aware of. If we see a continued downward slide, then maybe another Terry Bowden is out there somewhere. While I too am extremely disappointed at where we stand right now with such lack of success in our 2 marque sports, I remain hopeful that this will change. In talking with Martin last week, he said to me "we will get this right". I have no idea what this could mean as far as actual steps are concerned, but I will remain hopeful that my school will rebound(pun intended).
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:06 pm

Not to split hairs, but in coach Sullivan's last year as coach he made 339k and his first year made 239k per the 990 filed with the IRS. It was a bargain for the university.
sudog03

Postby SU DOG » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:15 pm

Absolutely right 03, a bargain it was. Didn't mean to mislead on the figures, but I think there were some perks also in there that weren't part of the exact salary. The University was also good to him. After he was unable to coach, and until near the time of his death, he maintained an office as an Advisor, and his previous salary was matched by Samford. It was not paid by Athletics, but by some other funding.
SU DOG

PreviousNext

Return to The Dog Pound